Basic vehicle maintenance

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Modern vehicles in the main are extremely reliable with the factory service periods way different from when I started driving with some as long as 6 months or more and up to 20000 KLM's between services.

NOTE Time frame service schedules must be carried out regardless of lesser distances covered.

So I am thinking that all learner drivers should be taught or instructed on basic maintenance as follows as well as demonstrate their knowledge as part of the test criteria.

1 Check and top up all fluids IF needed.
2 Check and adjust tyre pressures as needed including the spare wheel.
3 Check tyres for abnormal wear and tread depth and know where the TWI's are located.
4 How to change a wheel with the cars tool kit and where to find it.
5 Check that all lights are operating.
6 Time frame as to how often they should be carried out
7 Service schedules.

Pro Tip 1 Over inflate the spare by say 10-15 psi initially as all tyres will lose pressure over time so it may be closer to the correct pressure when needed OR lowered if still too high.

Pro Tip 2 If you car is kept in a garage turn ignition on and check the operation of the lights from the reflections on the wall in front and the door behind BUT you will need to get out to see if the number plate light is working.

I quite agree, so many youngsters don't know how to change a tyre or check the oil! Skills every motorists needs, and one that could save your life, or at the very least a lot of expense.

IMO the other thing missing from the test criteria is proper emergency braking and lane change where the new driver being tested is put under pressure.

I certainly would never want to get in a plane with a pilot that has not been tested and passed on emergency manoeuvres and found to be a competent and fit person to be in control of any plane but we continue to let the mainly young out on the roads with little or zero understanding of vehicle dynamics and how they respond to the drivers inputs

Is it any wonder why newly licenced drivers are 4 times more likely to be involved in a crash in their first 12 months of driving.?

How often do we hear people say " the car went out of control and I had an accident" when in reality you lost control and crashed.