Tuning a Merc E320

GIG6002

Car
Mercedes E320
Hi Guys,

I recently bought (6mths ago ) a 1998 E320. So far I've been very impressed all round. But then you start to notice little things, which leads you to the question, "how can I tweak that?". I'd be happy for any suggestions as to how to improve the basic car. My first little project is the exhaust system. I have a small crack in the exhaust pipe just before the rear box. Not a great problem. But the noise it now makes is fantastic. Really shows off the V6. So my question is what's the best replacement exhaust for this car. I mean in terms of performance and sound?. Any help appreciated.

Hi and welcome. Nice to meet you Gig6002. Exhausts are pretty much suited to individual taste. With a V6 most of them sound great. I think though personally the deep note from Sebring do it for me. AMG parts come highly recommended if you can track them down.

Last edited:
Keep us posted with what you decide on. Always interested.

The gearing always seems quite long on just about every Merc. Its as if they were designed for cruising rather than sprinting. Get yourself a closer ration box for more fun.

I changed the exhaust on my SLK320 to a custom made freeflowing system and could not honestly feel any extra power although I'm sure there must have been a small improvement.

Waynne, the main reason for changing the zaust was that the two cats were rattling hence gone. On pricing new cats with the dealer I sourced an alternative whereupon, I got two sports cats fitted at a third of the price and paid a little more for a custom made exhaust.

There is probably no doubt the top end will have improved however, how often do you get the chance to open the top end on a 3.2 litre very light car? Especially when you are a law abiding motorist :)

The good old Welsh Zero tolerance policies. Such a shame when they have such nice roads. I'm a law abiding driver but I was pretty scared whilst I was in Wales! :eek:

Chaps, I'm from South Wales not North Wales where Brunstorm rules the nest on traffic policies.

There is not so much of a presence in the South of talivans and the roads around the Beacons are awesome. I am also well aware of legal issues surrounding speed detection devices and the use off and have never had a point on my licence or the wife or kids even though we have an SLK, MX5 2lsport, S2000 and a Lotus Elise between us.

thats a nice collection, sounds like around here nice flowing roads and very few places for the vans to sit.
how are you finding getting stuff for the slk

thats a nice collection, sounds like around here nice flowing roads and very few places for the vans to sit.
how are you finding getting stuff for the slk

Yes not a bad collection helps when the house prices in South Wales are lower than the average leaving extra cash for toys :)

Have not found anything as yet, I clicked a link for information on a remap but as yet they have not replied to my email.

Getting anything for the SLK320 appears difficult even a induction kit car looks good with the reiger bodykit but I want to give it an edge with a little extra BHP