Trampdrift Carlton WIP

a few people are asking to see the progress on the OAP stylee trampdrifter so figured id oblige!
its a 92 Vaux carlton 2.0 (122BHP) GL model at the moment, if it proves reliable enough and doesnt get destroyed first time i take it on the track ill be looking for a 3.0 24V lump to throw in...
not really all that much to report as yet as have been far too busy with the other half, but here's what we've got so far.....
this is it when i got it (swap for an old dvd headunit!)

df69_1.jpg

ef20_1.jpg

cb1e_1-1.jpg

d8e6_1.jpg

140b_1.jpg

0582_1.jpg

105k on the clocks, running sweet as a nut, had leaky diff to be looked at at some pint, nothing major so i thought....
only bits of rust i could find were: both rear arches rusted away underneath door shuts, small bit of rust in spare wheel well bung.
thats it! in a 16yr old vauxhall!!

after 3days of constant sideways abuse i managed to destroy the leaky diff!

so while i was looking for a new one i did this....

Photo-0012.jpg

Photo-0011.jpg

Photo-0010.jpg

Photo-0009.jpg

Photo-0008.jpg

its far more stripped now, am almost finished getting all the tar sound deadening out, just been to lazy to get pics!

will do them tomorrow!

had new diff fitted on wed, 3 an half hours between me an a mate, not bad goin me thinks! will be welding it up when i get some more seat time in, due to it being off the road i dont really know what its capable of just yet, so once im fully comfortable with its abilities, ill be welding her up.

also fitted a carlton GSI seat in for that bit more support when going sideways at 50mph

was a passenger seat and couldnt be assed swapping subrames (b*tch of a job on carlton seats) so i simply hacksawed the height adjuster off the side of it, and relocated the seat belt clip and it went in without a drama.

am lowering it on thu/fri next week with help of a mate (he has all the tools lol) and have two CDX alloys for the fronts, just waiting on my free tyre supplier to get me two decent tyres for em.

any comments/questions/opinions etc welcome

I used to have a 2 litre Carlton an it was very tail happy. Your gonna have some fun times in that mate. How much are you stripping out? You leaving the stereo in or taking it out?

basically EVERYTHING bar the essential bits of the dash. all vents, cubby holes, stereo blank switches,clock,glovebox etc have been removed. there is absolutely nothing left in it now!just the shell of the dash left.
well, and the heater matrix, but only until i take it off the road. once i get my daily motor ill be makin this one track only, an then the dash an heater matrix will be comin out too...

Cool i'm thinkin of this route for my Primera. Not drifting obviously and also I won't be stripping it as much. But I am seriously considering using my car for track days only next year. But like I say I am undecided as of yet....:D

the carpets and sound deadening weigh shed loads mate. if you just got rid of the rear seats and all the carpets and sound deadening that would make a nice difference

Chammer & hisel it is then thanks, I did ask the same question somewhere else before but I've been hoping for a miracle method that doesn't involve waking the dead! Oh well my neighbours are going to love me ;):lol::amuse:

Last edited:
to be honest mate unless your some muscle bound freak of nature, the chances of you hammering a chisel straight through your floor are slim! unless of course you have a rusty floorpan, in which case your gonna have to fix it anyways! lol
it certainly isnt a quiet way to do it, my neighbours have gotten quite annoyed with me, but i dont start before 10am so they cant really complain! if you wanna do it quietly, get a heat gun and warm it up until it just starts to bubble on top, then just scrape it out. oh, and apparently the little bits that are left over will come off easily with a bit of carb cleaner. i havent bothered with mine, as its a tramp drifter, not a show car! i dont give a toss if it looks rough, so long as it does what its supposed to do (go sideways) im a happy man!

I once built a grass track car an I ended up rebuilding the hole floor pan drivers and passengers. Think I may have been a bit rough with the hammer. I didn't think it was that badly rusted either. Until I had removed all the soundproofing then there was another story lol But oh well it got there in the end. :D:D:D

Looking good. It nice to have car you can really have fun in and not worry too much about the odd scratch or dent.

definately, the only way you can truly explore yours and your cars limits, is if you dont care if it all goes wrong! im doin this one on a ridiculously small budget, if i irrepairably damage it, il make my money back on scrap/parts and start all over again!

Last edited:
all numbers are approx!

Spare wheel:- 17kg
Tar from boot:- 5kg
Front pass seat:- 23kg
Rear Seat (not inc bench):- 12kg
Rear bench:- 5kg
interior plastic trim and bits of dash,glovebox etc - 20kg?
Seatbelt mechs rear and 1 front:- 10kg?
Tar from cabin:- 25kg
sounddeadening rubber material from cabin:-35-40kg?

i make that about 157kg?
not a bad little amount really!
i dont have any kind of target weight mate, just getting rid of everything that i dont need in there!
i WILL get some pics taken soon, am dying of a hangover today so cba to do anything!

right, some pics as promised, have had to put passenger seat back in atm as my gf's car is away being fixed and she doesnt like sitting on the floor! lol

apologies for the dodgy pic quality!

my sexy new GSI seat - much more supportive
Photo-0014.jpg

jus picked up some rubber lol
Photo-0016.jpg

empty dash
Photo-0015.jpg

still need to skip the last bit or rubbish an chop the seat belt bolts out
Photo-0017.jpg

Photo-0012.jpg

looking presentable outside.....for now!!!
Photo-0013.jpg

and a very rough photoshop of how it'll look soon....minus the alloys(sold)
cb1e_1.jpg

yeah theyre a pain in the backside mate, too close to the rear screen, cant get even a stubby screwdriver in there to unscrew em! gonna chop em out thu when do my front springs...

ive already had a massive one! the diff decided to die on me after 3 days!!! took two weeks to get a decent replacement!
il be happy in couple of weeks when its ready for the track!

oh yes, bumpers are comin off next week (if i can be bothered!) and once i have a bit of access they will most definately be getting binned! takin all the chrome strips off too, ready for the gangsta paintjob lol

Are you going Matt or Glossy with the paint?

Was that the original diff you killed?

:)lol: He spends all that effort reducing the weight and they sticks a set of tyres in the boot! ;))

matt, well satin black as its easier to get a half decent finish, and at the rate it'll need touching up, im not messing about with gloss black, at least with the satin all it'll take to touch up is a quick blast of the aerosol!

yeah was the original diff, think 16yrs of neglect followed by 3 days of sideways abuse finally took its toll lol

Tyres will be in the Gf's shed at weekend, jus gotta empty it of all my other rubbish first!

have worn out the inside edges of the front two, and prob took about 4mm off the rears, but then it was very wet!! lol
need to get the fronts swapped over with the alloys once iv had the tyres put on, then i have 4 x15" steelies for burnin up on the rear, only another set of 15's an a set of 14's to find an il be happy!that'll give me 12 steelies to play with an 2 alloys... should only get through about 8 tyres in a day on track id think

Hi all, just a quick note to say this thread has been moved to our new projects/wip forum within the gallery.

Oh my, i just read this and it brought back so many happy memories.... i think i need to buy another trampdrifter.... but not until later part of next year i think, new baby on way in march will be tying up my spare finds, and i still have the mk1 to do....

think ill get a senator this time.... :)

nah, i prefer old vauxhall barges to drift in. besides, a 3.0 24v senator is cheap as chips....

Have a little girl to add to the family, due 28/03/10 (my little boy was born 27/03/09! :lol:)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back