Timing/Cam Belt - need some advice!

jon121

Tuner
Car
corsa c 12v
hey guys, basically just need some advice on something thats hapened to my car recently.

when i bought the car someone had put an air filter on, jus attached to the tube and hanging there (rather than going into the original air box), never had any problems but basically it got abit dirty/rusty so i bought a new one the other day.

I attached it in the same way but as i was driving, because it was abit bigger and heavier, it hung down onto the timing belt and started making a wierd noise. I had a look and basically the airfilter was litterally sitting on the timing belt and the friction has burnt a hole through the air filter.

Firstly, is it ok to drive with a burn hole in the air filter? ( iv orderd another new one but i need t use my car in the meantime ). i know it will suck in a little bit of bad air, but is this litterally life threatening for the car or will it be ok for a while?

and also, the timing belt looks worn on the side that was touching the air filter but its not making any bad noises or anything as im driving. any1 know much about this?

thanks alot in advance

Hi. Tape over the hole with gaffer tape (duck tape) to stop any muck getting in.

If there is any damage to the cam belt it is advisable to replace it. This will work out a lot cheaper than the repair bill if it snaps.

A new air filter is not very expensive, unless you buy it from Vauxhall, whereupon the price might escalate. Just get one and fi it. It's about 2 minutes' work.
I find Vauxhall parts pricey, hence one of the reasons I'm currently using a BMW. This might sound odd but BMW dealer service parts are incredibly reasonably priced. Even Halfords cannot compete with the dealers for filters etc.

The belt is a different matter. If it's showing signs of wear it must be replaced ASAP. As far as I know your car has what's commonly known as an interference engine. Basically this means that in the case of a belt breakage you are almost certainly going to damage at least one set of valves and a piston.

as og says tape over the whole. dirty air is one thing - but still bad - but if lager dirt, leaves etc, get in then it will cause problems

timing belt - if its looking worn then change it. as said if it snaps your looking at an expensive repair job

Bad luck mate. Change the timing belt ASAP. If you know a macanic in your area you should be able to get it done cheep(ish). The belt will set you back arround £90-£110 and will take about 3 hours or so labour. So you will be looking at around £300 top end to get it changed.

is says your cars is a corsa c 1.0 12v if so it dont have a cam belt is timing chain
even if its a 1.2 its a timing chain
so what it has touched is the alternator belt
if the belt looks ok then it should be fine if not just change the belt are easy to change and cheap

thanks for the responses!

i had already orderd a new airfilter wen i made that post, i just needed to kno wht to do untill it arrived. It now has a brand new one on so tht is tht problem avoided!

its deffinatly a 1L, and im sure it comes up on insurance as a 12v but i could b wrong, it could b 8v? is there an obvious way of checking?

this is just a pic i found online but iv circled the bit tht im refering to as a cam belt, it could well be the alternator belt, i dnt know much myself! (click the image)

yeah that helps thanks! i wasnt sure because the alternator belt seems to go round the cams aswell but im guessing its chain driven inside? i needed to be sure because the price difference between a cam belt and alternator belt is quite abit so yeah thanks i know wht t buy now!

Water pump is driven by it as well. 12v Corsas with PAS use an electric motor to power the column directly so no belt for a pump.

You'd never have the cams driven by the same belt as the alternator, though sometimes water pump is and with diesel cars the fuel pump is often cam belt driven. Especially with IDI engines as the pump also controls injector flow and timing.

the pulley at the top is the water pump

and you will never find a price on a cam belt for a 1.0 corsa as they are all chain

not if you dont keep up the oil changes (i know you do)

but since starting at my new place have done 3 engine rebuilds on bmw diesels due to lack of oil changes
2 corsas and one astra

the vauxhals only have about 80k anyway before the chain needs replacing

not if you dont keep up the oil changes (i know you do)

but since starting at my new place have done 3 engine rebuilds on bmw diesels due to lack of oil changes
2 corsas and one astra

the vauxhals only have about 80k anyway before the chain needs replacing

I do oil changes whenever the service indicator says I should do so. And I do use premium priced oils which are BMW long life approved.

Compatible is not the same as certified.