Technical Rant.. How do I change the O/S bulb on a MK4 Mondeo?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
The main Beam bulb H7 has gone on my wifes mk4 Mondeo, No probs I thought so I got a bulb, lifted the bonnet and...... Looks like the Engine has to come out blah blah blah to get the rear light panel off, Anyone ever done this "Should take 30 second" Job here? Thanks

Wow. I have just found the answer on the interweb. It seems I need a full "Snap on" distributors van and have to remove the complete light unit.......... We are going backwards I swear.

My Smart was the same, to change the bulbs you either had to find a dexterous small child to get his arm in the confined space or dismantle the whole front of the car & remove the headlight units. It even said in the manual to take the car to a dealer should a bulb need changing!

What makes me laugh is the fact you have to carry spare bulbs when driving in Europe but should the occasion arise when you need to change one your absolutely boned. :lol:

Would it be easier just to sell the car & buy another with working bulbs? :D

Well I replaced the mondeo bulb it took 15 minutes or more and my hands and t-shirt are filthy. My mk3 mondeo is fairly straightforward but if we go back to the old cortina it would take seconds and my hands would only be covered in rust.

It's crazy. I needed a special star shaped screw driver to change my rear bulbs!

I find it was always the bulb nearest the battery and the hardest to get to that always seemed to blow!

Mine is held in with 3 torx screws... simple. The rear is held in with 2 twisty things. Simple.

Why cant cars be this simple!!!

Haven't looked at mine. But I'm guessing there won't be much room. But unlike the mondeo, don't have to take headlights out. Which is always a brucie bonus ;)

"Ive got it" Take out the engine, replace it with a 2.5 V6 JAAAG engine from an ST, do that & then you'll be sorted.

Now that you mensions it I've been scratching my head for a while now trying to get a front indicator working on the Lude. Didn't figure it out till I let my 12 year old nephew park it & he accidently ripped the front bumper clean off.

There were 4 sockets on the loom & it was plugged into the wrong one...

Think outside the box a bit. The official procedure for the siggie offside main bulb is to take off the bumper, but if you take out the airbox you can get to it. or if you have smallish hands like me you can squeeze it.