Tailgating rant

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do people even know what the 2 second rule is?

It seems to me that 90% of cars following me or that I see on the road are driving too close, and many of these are within the stopping distance which in my opinion is downright lethal!

Is the assumption that cars will all slow up at the same rate? Have people forgotten about their own long reaction times?

Do you make a point of leaving a 2 second gap? How do you judge this?

Anyone remember the Rhyme "only a fool breaks the two second rule."

I've not heard of that rule or rhyme.

I usually judge it by eye and I do keep back from the car in front. I know what you,mean though most drivers are moronic.

Waaaay back when I first started driving the rule was 1 car length separation for every 10 MPH BUT some are poor judges of distance so the 2 second rule came in as it increases the space in proportion as your speed rises.

Put simply means that as the vehicle in front passes an object,shadow,post or whatever say "one one thousand two one thousand" when the lead vehicle passes it and if you pass the same mark before you finish you are too close and need to back off a little or a lot .

In my defensive driving instructing days at a closed venue we would often have 2 cars in different lanes to simulate tailgating with the lead car suddenly braking hard and the following driver reacting to the lead cars brake lights and stopping well past the lead car despite the following driver knowing what was about to happen and being fully alert to demonstrate the dangers of tailgating to course participants.

The space between you and the vehicle in front is the minimum for good conditions and will need to increase for say wet roads , heavy loads , towing trailers/caravans etc.

2 simple rules that will help you arrive safely at your destination are LOOK FURTHER AHEAD & STAY FURTHER BACK.

Last edited: