Technical innovations to replace current systems

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Right, we've had a bash at the most pointless features thing.

What would you like to change in a modern car?

Which features would you most like to see replaced with something technically innovative and superior?

It doesn't have to be scientifically possible at this point, just ideas.

The sonic mirrors post has inspired me here.

How about something to replace the traditional windscreen wiper? OK, we have the beam wipers; you know, the flat things, which are arguably superior to the old fashioned wipers. But the principle of operation is just the same.

Sonic windscreen, anyone? Could this be achieved?

Or something else besides to replace that traditional wiper motor, arms and blades arrangements that we're all still using. There are chemical rain repellents out there by which some people swear. Others hate them.

Could we do something with electrostatic charges to repel water, perhaps? Preferably without electrocuting too many passing pedestrians. Then again, with refinement, it could be use to destroy insects in the same fashion.

Over to you.....

that is a great idea patent it!!! water and insect repellent glass if i had that as an option to search for in a 2nd hand car i would!!!
(now goes to the drawing board to make this) mmmmm:amuse:

Using Dyson air blade technology a cushion of air will drive the rain, and grime away from the bodywork, it will also add downforce giving optimum grip.

I'd also like to see panels made from LED so you can change the cars colour at the flick of a switch, or go for a funky pattern. Cars who's bodies are covered in LED will also stand out a lot more and will avoid the need for running lights or dipped lights.

Auto cruise where the car controls the steering to keep you in lane, your speed and keeps an eye on the sat nav to get you to your destination.

What about a radar or live statellite view of the road ahead so you can see if there are any oncoming cars (handy in country lanes!)

Nothing special then :blink: :blink: :lol:.

OLED technology might get to the body colour thing - it's still not widely used in TV or computer displays.

Paragraph three is simple: Hire a Chauffeur :lol:

Using Dyson air blade technology a cushion of air will drive the rain, and grime away from the bodywork, it will also add downforce giving optimum grip.

I'd also like to see panels made from LED so you can change the cars colour at the flick of a switch, or go for a funky pattern. Cars who's bodies are covered in LED will also stand out a lot more and will avoid the need for running lights or dipped lights.

Auto cruise where the car controls the steering to keep you in lane, your speed and keeps an eye on the sat nav to get you to your destination.

What about a radar or live statellite view of the road ahead so you can see if there are any oncoming cars (handy in country lanes!)

EL panels are what you need. ;)
I toyed with the idea of making a roof lining using a sheet of EL & fitting it to my Old Smart, the idea was, it would work like one huge courtesy light when the door was opened. Had I not killed the car I would have done it by now.

It wouldn't take a lot modifying to cover a whole car with this stuff.

An example of EL panels here...

http://www.w-co.co.uk/el.php

Electroluminescent body panels. There's something special.

Let's devise a way to make a deformable (squashy) and air permeable one [EL panel] and look at the possibilities for seat covering materials. How about a passive one (ie. reflects light rather than emitting it) which can appear in a different colour according to the drivers own mood or mindset.

What would we call this? Chameleon leather, perhaps?

No doubt the environmental bunch would be upon us even if no reptiles were harmed during the manufacture of the stuff.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/09/paramagnetic-paint-lets-you-change-your-cars-color-on-a-whim/

They actually are developing a paint where, by running a small electric charge through the paint, you can change the color of the car at will. Interesting article!

Was that article not a hoax? I think it was this article that was copied onto a lot of major blogs and new sites and just went to show that plagiarism and copying were rife online.

Its possible. I didnt really bother researching it throughly, though there is a lack of detail that makes it a bit suspect. Such as not knowing who designed it or anything. If it isn't a hoax, it would be a neat feature though.

So if it isnt a hoax, there you go. If it is a hoax, then here is one of my votes for something that should be designed.

And as for your cruise control that keeps you on the road, I want to say it is BMW that designed something like that. Could be wrong though. I believe it uses cameras to look at the lines on the road and uses that information to help steer the car. It was only being tested last I heard. Not on any road cars or anything. I think something like that was also being used in the robotic cars they make and race across the desert... cant think of the name of the race. US Government has a promise to give the first team who can successfully accomplish the race a decent amount of money. Ill try to look it up again.

I'd like some form of radar or joined-up satnav which would warn me if chavboy in his corsa was about to come round a bend on the wrong side and plough into me.

Trouble is I would not trust the government not to use it to either charge or snoop on me.

I work with computers and I see them doing the most illogical things every day. I'd therefore NEVER trust a lane discipline system, or radar-controlled collision avoidance, not to randomly steer me into a truck or slam the brakes on because a butterfly flew in front.

When you talk about replacing wipers, this is what I suggest, if I may:

On the bridges of sea going vessels, to repel the rain water from the "windshield" there is an innovative gadget.

There are 3 to 4 circular pieces of glass over the existing windshield. Here is an image which is not very clear, but you can see the circles in the back-ground.

ScreenShot012.jpg

Then at a convenient postion on the windscreen there is a hub, which houses a high-speed motor with a belt and pulley system,which is run off a high-speed motor 4800 rpm, further increasing the speed to almost double at the final drive, through different ration of circumference of the driving pulley and driven pulley.

And then at the center of the top or end pulley, the circle of glass is pivoted, so that it can rotate freely.

So how this works is that when the water hits the glass, the glass is spinning so fast that, due to centrifugal force, it is immediately flung outwards, thus leaving the center free of almost any water at all, at all times, thus providing a clear vision, without the cumbersome interruption of a swing arm of a wiper.

And it also works with bugs.

Now if only we could adapt this technology for cars, there would be no need to wait for the wiper arm to come back to wipe the water or bug off, thus preventing any untoward incident in that fraction of a minute, when the driver is blinded.

Think about this.

Sounds like it could be dangerous if someone comes over your bonnet, all of a sudden it is a decapitated person.

Well I don't know about you, but IMO, if a pedestrian walks into the front of my car, takes the liberty of climbing over my bonnet and trying to kiss my windshield, I would rather decapitate him than let him live to repeat his indiscretion!!.................

And if you have hit a pedestrian hard enough that he is on your bonnet and against your windscreen, wouldn't you think that he would rather prefer decapitation than enduring the pain of hospitalization and recuperation?...................

Gotcha! :D :D :D :D

Ok so instead of glass, what if a soft foamy plasma type of material was used.....

It would maintain its rigidity due to the centrifugal force. and still be pliable on impact with anything hard like skin, thus avoiding any injury more than mebbe a road-rash.........

Remember thats why I said "adapted" for cars.

Would that be gud then?

Last edited:
Well I don't know about you, but IMO, if a pedestrian walks into the front of my car, takes the liberty of climbing over my bonnet and trying to kiss my windshield, I would rather decapitate him than let him live to repeat his indiscretion!!.................

I laughed so hard.