snake oil and magic additives

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
What if any additives do you use, Do you think they work or just a con. Forte seems to be highly recomended

never use anything on my own cars hate spending money on them on stuff that i cant see or stuff that wont do it much good for the little time i own the cars

What if any additives do you use, Do you think they work or just a con. Forte seems to be highly recomended

The only additive I use for performance enhancement, to be honest is an occasional brew of barley and yeast, especially over long distances, introduced gradually.;) ;) ;)

In my opinion, as long as the maintenance is on schedule and you have a good quality oil, anything else is snake-oil.

But then I am not so much of an expert, as I would like myself and others to think.

So, for lack of a better phrase, don't follow me, I am lost too!

:D :D :D

I used to be completely suckered in by additives and magic potions. I've learnt to be more cynical now and most of the claims made are just plain false or at best over optimistic.

The only stuff I will ever put in a car is Redex injector cleaner but I'm not sure this is worth it on my new FSI engine.

A good quality oil should have all the additives it needs to perform a job well.

If you have power steering leaks then you can get a PAS fluid that expands the rubber seals and stops the leaks, this worked well for me but I don't know if it did any good.

I also tried an Octane booster in a Carb engined car a few years back and it made the plugs so sooty that they misfired and I had to clean them all off.

Redex doesn't do a lot unless you load it in in massive concentrations.

Your problem is likely to be short journeys so the odd dose of Forte Gas Treatment is a good idea. This will not do any harm to your engine.

Do you guys have "Sea Foam"? It's basically a form of injector cleaner/crud reducer. I've used it once in my mustang with little results.

Some people swear by it. I think it does a little to make the car run a little smoother, but I won't run it more than once most likely in the life of any of my cars.

I've read about it and have uncovered a few horror stories. At least the Forte stuff isn't reported to have dome damage.

Another one to look at is BG44K or Bk244 for diesel applications