Snake oil or genuine?

And the point of using this would be?

Well that's what I would like to know. My car is more sprightly on Shell Nitro 99 than it is on BP Ultimate 97. So I am wondering since seeing this advert whether Fuelx Ultra 110 would be of benefit to the performance.

Well that's what I would like to know. My car is more sprightly on Shell Nitro 99 than it is on BP Ultimate 97. So I am wondering since seeing this advert whether Fuelx Ultra 110 would be of benefit to the performance.

Just checked on the price :blink: :amazed:

FWIW I add Lucas octane booster to BP Ultimate 98 before track days as a little extra protection against detonation. But it is tuned on undiluted 98

How will you make sure the mixture is evenly mixed into the fuel and how do you maintain a constant ratio?

There have been many 'magic' cans in the past and testing proved they didn't work.

Raising the octane rating of a fuel will require a retune of the engine to take advantage of any possible power increase.

Power increase will probably be marginal. If this actually worked sales of race fuel would plummet. Race fuels suitable for turbo engines, for example VPs q16, have a RON rating of 120+. This particular fuel allows me to increase boost without fear of detonation releasing approx 80-90bhp extra over the existing 520.

Also, race fuels are a little bit more complicated than simply higher octane ratings.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT! How can simply pouring a can of fluid into a tank of fuel work as well as a properly formulated and blended mixture?

Also, where do they get 110 from?

£1.30/litre for unleaded plus £1.91 for additive = £3.21/litre = 107 RON max with no guarantee that it will work.

VP Q16 = £4.73/litre = 120 RON and guaranteed to work.

You pays your money etc.

If you need extra octane don't F about, buy the proper stuff.

Last edited:
Just get some e85

But to make it work ( as said before) you need the appropriate map or is a waste of time. Plus make sure the injectors are big enough as they will need extra capacity.

Os your car runs better on 99 because that was what it was set up for so a lower octane wont help. Neither will a higher one if your map is spot on.

A possible benefit - most cars mapped on a rolling road are not mapped in top gear so if you were doing a serious top speed run the booster could stop det flat out in top. It wont go quicker but it might protect the motor against det.

Many thanks for the advice guys, I am forever on the look out for new performance items to give me more of an edge. Not really sure what is good and what is not, that is why I am here on TorqueCars learning from you clever chaps in the know ;)

T9, lol, how much more edge do you really need?

How about sticking the 4wd system from a later Saab on?

Or have you already and I've just missed it?

T9, lol, how much more edge do you really need?

How about sticking the 4wd system from a later Saab on?

Or have you already and I've just missed it?

:embarrest:.....:lol:

Well the system I am waiting for is actually a MapTun special which has been done to their car which just happens to be the exact same model as mine ;)

This will make life so much easier installation wise with the exception of the left hand drive section on the Swedish version. Once Fredrik gets his act together - very busy chap! Then it will be mine :)

Octane rating has it uses, especially when upping the boost.

Definitely so. I am just raising the point that for road use in low boost / NA cars there's little or no point running higher octane fuel than is required for the car's geometric compression ratio. (More accurately it's the combustion chamber temperature at the end of compression phase that really matters).

One reason I dislike Tesco Momentum 99 is it's tragically low calorific value compared to proper 'branded' 99RON unleaded.

I seem to recall somewhere reading that BP Ult Diesel has a lower calorific value than standard diesel. I'm using this in the Passat though and it does help with the VW/Audi 4 cylinder PD engines' general 'gruffness'.

Last edited: