Slowing up brake or change down

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which method do you prefer to use to slow up a little changing down a gear or braking and why?

Do you change down through the gears when stopping or just clutch in and coast at the end and select the next gear before moving off?

Does engine braking damage the engine and gearbox? Is this wear accelerated if you change down a gear?

I use gears and brakes, the brakes are as they are for lol to slow me down but i like to keep the gearing right just incase i need to acclerate. Hate getting to some lights slowing down with just the brakes, the light changes when you are about to stop and you try and move off in 3rd lmao.

i use the brake and gear box , when i went for my licence they made the comment that useing the box only wore it out and wanted to know if the person that taught me came for snow country . for me its comfortable

Depends on the situation I think, if I was only slowing from 60 to 50 or something like that then just a down change(diesel engine, so engine braking is pretty strong!)if not then both brakes and gears. As mentioned above don't like being in the wrong gear when required to accelerate!

Got a semi-auto so I always engine brake wherever I go. I find if I time the semi-auto clutch coming up in 1st with hitting the brakes I stop a lot quicker... but I don't know about manuals.

real brakes (friction brakes) will give far stronger slowing effect than mucking about with needless changes.

Engine braking has a purpose, and can slow you down whilst in gear.

In my opinion you should not use the gears as surrogate brakes. If you need to brake then use the brake pedal to do this.

Select and engage a lower gear when you need to do so. This can be done whilst still braking if you're likely to force the engine below its natural idle speed if you remain in gear. 6-4-2 is reasonable, for example. You cannot reasonably expect a car with a 40+mph per 1000rpm in sixth to come down to sub 20mph with only one block change to second.

Control separation is a key contributor to quick driving.

Problem is though, when you use the clutch, you lose any engine braking you get at that point.

Multiple changes will cancel out any benefit you get from selecting lower gears constantly.

Therefore, you need to leave it in gear as long as possible to get more benefit from the engine braking.

Plus, it's more gentle on the passengers.

Bit of both dependant on where I am and how much I need to slow down. I try not to use the brakes on the motorway if I only need to lose, say, 5 mph and i'm doing low revs in top gear i'll just drop it a cog as braking on m/ways causes tailbacks.

Normally will use both as (as said before) it's a little more gentle on the passengers and it leaves you in the correct gear to set off again if needs be.