Skills in the driving test

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I think the UK driving test is due an overhaul.

What essential skills do you think they should include in the test?

I'd like to see some basic skid control, night driving and overtaking parts to the test. These seem to be areas where most new drivers come unstuck.

Dodging potholes would be helpful these days ;)

On a serious note though I think motorway driving would be top of the list. Might sort out the issue with people hogging the middle lane. I think the people doing this may not be confident on the motorway so stick in the middle to avoid having to make high speed manoeuvres.
Overtaking is a good one. Lost count of the amount of times been caught at the back of a queue following a tractor because someone won't overtake it.
Reverse parking into a bay would be a good one too. Annoys me when you get people trying to drive straight into spaces in car parks and getting it all wrong. Usually takes them about 2 or 3 attempts to get it right. Can do it much easier reversing and you can drive out of the space when leaving. A few times I have had to blast the horn in a car park when someone is reversing out of a space and don't see me.
A lot of these things I think are a confidence thing which I'm sure would be better if covered in the lessons and test.

Dodging potholes definitly!!!:lol:
Some people though never gain confidence you can see it daily
with hesitation and only seeing ahead to the next car in front.
I don,t know how you can teach spacial awareness or teach someone how to read the road.

Dodging potholes definitly!!!:lol:
Some people though never gain confidence you can see it daily
with hesitation and only seeing ahead to the next car in front.
I don,t know how you can teach spacial awareness or teach someone how to read the road.
look as far as you can see, check mirrors and blindspots frequently. not sure how you teach common sense though:confused:

example, i was driving down the M3 between basingstoke and winchester services and a car overtook me and stayed in the outside lane going round a long bend. i spotted his hazard lights coming on just before he disappeared from sight and i started slowing down. why? he is not going to break down in the outside lane which means there is a problem up ahead that i cant yet see. spot on, stationary traffic round the bend!

training must be improved. driving isnt about seeing a developing situation and then thinking about what to do. its about anticipating what is about to happen and acting instinctively. if you have to think about it, its too late. it must be second nature to react correctly, possibly even before the event has happened. there are many times that you can anticipate what is about to happen just using observation but it requires training to develop these skills

I still tend to drive as if I am on my test to be honest, just with more experience and care.

What needs to be covered is how to react in most everyday situations. As learners you need to be taught to DRIVE not PASS your test. The test should be based on everyday driving, not a certain way of driving. Most learners haven't a clue how to actually drive with other motorists without instructor aid.

I was fortunete enought to have family which were great drivers.

most instructors havent a clue either Davalav:lol:

they should be showing an example but they certainly dont give a very good impression in my area. no lights in poor weather conditions, indicators are often not used, things like that. who teaches the teacher?

most instructors havent a clue either Davalav:lol:

they should be showing an example but they certainly dont give a very good impression in my area. no lights in poor weather conditions, indicators are often not used, things like that. who teaches the teacher?

There you have it if the teachers are not up to it then there lies the problem.
Driving is about thinking ahead reading the road and common sense.
When i am in my car i switch off to the other problems in the world and concentrate on the task at hand which is to get from a to b as safely and efficently as possible.

Would overhauling the test make much difference?

Skid control is secondary to skid avoidance so I'd like to see that considered. Though learning how to control one (and there are many causes low level causes) and learning how to provoke one is the best to learn how not to need to control one.

I think that attitude to driving is the single biggest cause of RTCs. Sort that out (no idea how) and the roads WILL be safer and more enjoyable for all.

Everyone who does a school run should be forced to do a test at this time of day, just so they can see exactly how abysmal their driving really is. They should then do an extended, three month course on parking a car properly.
If little Johnny runs into the road and damages my car, his mother will blame me, yet she is a danger every time she loads the family brats into the car and speeds through the village lanes with no focus on driving other than to get them to school.
Skid pan training is an eye opener in more than just skid control, it teaches you how to react to/avoid different dangers and how your car will react too and essentially, what not to do when you are in trouble. I was lucky enough to do many of these sessions prior to and during visits to Norway. It's good fun too, more so with a Norwegian instructor on a frozen lake.
A better understanding of car mechanics would help. I don't mean how to fix things but how things work, what happens when they are neglected and what happens when they fail regarding safety aspects.
Judging by the amount of failed bulbs I see, I'd guess that most people don't have a clue about weekly or daily checks on their motor either.

Rite. Where do I start!

1. Parking. I see less and less people being able to park. People will actually drive around tesco's car park to find a three block space to reverse park. Parallel parking seems to be the work of the devil too. If they cant point and shoot, they don't bother parking. (By point and shoot I mean nose the car in and just pull up)

2. Making simple turns to the right or left. Why is it, people, and it always seems to be young drivers in new cars, seem to think they are turning an articulated truck when they make a simple turn. If they turn right, they swing the car left first. And same when turning left. When will they learn that the back end WILL follow them!

3. Snow. I see a lot of if up here. And as soon as we get the slightest sprinkle everyone drives around at 12MPH. They don't understand/know how to drive to the contitions, they see snow and go slow. Making others overtake them. Witch in turn causes people to crash.

4. Motorway driving. A lot of people actually panic and shake when they drive on the motorway. They refuse to change lane at any cost and sit in the middle as this seems to protect them from all the nasty trucks.

I'll leave it there for the time being. Save re writing war and peace

Dealing with emergency response vehicles. Why do people stop? And invariably do so and either block the road, impede an overtaking opportunity, or pull across a side road which the emergency vehicle needs to access.

KEEP GOING and find the blue-lighter a safe overtaking opportunity before lifting off the pedal.

Dealing with emergency response vehicles. Why do people stop? And invariably do so and either block the road, impede an overtaking opportunity, or pull across a side road which the emergency vehicle needs to access.

KEEP GOING and find the blue-lighter a safe overtaking opportunity before lifting off the pedal.

Saw this in Brentwood the other day... 2 elderly ladies pulled up in front of a zebra crossing, which had car parking spaces either side and railing in the middle of the road, preventing an AMBULANCE from going around them. Surely common sense would indicate to keep going and find a suitable place to pull over?

To make that point even correct HDI, we are told on the driving test to pull up and allow an Ambulance or other service to pass... We are not actually told to FIND a SUITABLE place!

To make that point even correct HDI, we are told on the driving test to pull up and allow an Ambulance or other service to pass... We are not actually told to FIND a SUITABLE place!

Yes I know. But that's not ideal. It's something that is taught to get you through the test.

We all know that the driving test is not exhaustive hence this thread.

We all must allow a response vehicle to pass but the true objective is to help it keep moving.

Driving test is silly at times - moreso now than it was when I did mine.

Last edited:
actually there is no legal obligation to allow them to pass. the blue lights act as a warning, not an instruction

the worst one i had was some stupid bitch on a dual carriageway who was overtaking me when an ambulance approached from behind and she jumped into my lane in front of me and stopped. there was absolutely no need for her to even slow down so she got a blast of the horn and main beams

Basic common sense prevails here.

That lacks in a lot of everyday driving. I was coming up a small road, in Southend, surrounded by parked cars. I came up and saw a lady in a 730i just sitting there, flashed her to let her down thinking she was waiting for me, she sat there blocking anyone from passing. She then attempted to Parallel park... Whilst myself, 3 cars behind me and 2 cars coming towards me were blocked waiting for her. I bibbed her and she just sat there... Surely common sense dictates, in my mind, move into the next available space you thick woman and allow people to pass by!

Plenty of common but no sense.
Agreed .
Don't know what the driver test in the UK involves BUT over here it is simply far far too easy. Learners have to log 100 hours in a log book with professional driving schools hours x by3 BUT the remainder is under the supervision of mummy/daddy who in the majority of cases have never had another lesson or brushed up on the road rules since gaining their license.
I have 6 years as a defensive /advanced instructor and have sat beside many who have no idea and should not be driving but have passed the test and would not have passed if they drove like that during the test.For example one handed ,elbows on the door ,hands in wrong place,sitting too far back,hand at 12 o'clock other on h/brake. flat hand steering,etc,etc.
I have also sat beside mature "experienced "drivers? who IMHO should not be behind the wheel.

Last edited: