Rate your driving skills

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How do you rate your driving skills on a scale of 1 to 5
  1. Anticipation and being aware of what is going on ahead.
  2. Handling the car in extreme conditions snow, ice, wind and rain
  3. Cornering at the limit and general car control
  4. Braking - ability to stop the car in the shortest possible distance.
  5. Keeping to speed limits and other road signed regulations.
And which skill to you rate as the most important and why?
  1. Anticipation 5
  2. Handling 3 - Realistically I think I could be wrong footed in snow or on slippery roads.
  3. Cornering 3 (I don't get enough practice at the limit)
  4. Braking 4 - with ABS this is easy but I think I still need to press a bit harder in panic situations and need to get that pressure on sooner.
  5. Regulations 5
I rate anticipation as the No1 skill, you can't IMO do any of the other things unless you have mastered 1.

1. Anticipation - 5
  2. Handling - 3/4 (never driven this car in snow, but happy in my mazda)
  3. Cornering - 4
  4. Braking - 4
  5. Keeping to speed limits - 2/3 (Depending on road conditions. Will sit at 65/70 all day long on 60 roads.)
No 1 is the most important.

Hi Guys!
I've been welcomed back on the header and noted that I haven't posted for a while!
(I heard that! Who was it said Thank God:lol:)
Well....
I was a bit surprised that all you modders seemed to not have any ideas as to the 100 years in the future thread and so there was no reason to post:(
With regard to this one though.
1 IS most important but, with a proviso. It is just as important to be aware of what is going on around you. Ahead is priority but behind and to both sides is important too.
Obviously, we cannot have 360 vision but awareness of surroundings may help prevent problems or worse. (I'm not going to give instances:blink:
2.Yes, ability to handle a vehicle, especially in snow; is something drivers do not seem to have any accomplishment for:(
Icy conditions can be killers. Black ice being the worse scenario. Some modern cars give indication of low exterior temperatures but, Do we know how to interpret them?
Cornering at the limit??
OK it MAY be listed as a skill but, is it really something to do other than on a race or rally circuit:amazed:
It stands to reason that ability to control a skid, over or understeer etc. would be essential (Quiz! Travelling on a country lane after rain approaching a sharp turn. There are trees and windswept leaves.What should you do??)
4 Was it HDi who said 4 isnt required if 1 was in order?
The permutations for what is the shortest distance under differing situations make the skill required to be normally, aware of the oncoming requirement to slow rather than slam on:blink:
5 In towns and streets where a 30 (or less!) limit it should be commonsense to stick close to that limit [though many drivers do not!!]
On the open roads, dual carrigeways and Mways you can be better driving above the limit/s to escape those pootling along below the max.
This is not to get to the front per se but to probably avoid a possible accident as a numbnut pulls out without using mirrors or sense.
Finally, I came across this today:

You start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience BEFORE you empty the bag of luck;)
Pretty true I would say
How do you rate your driving skills on a scale of 1 to 5
  1. Anticipation and being aware of what is going on ahead.
  2. Handling the car in extreme conditions snow, ice, wind and rain
  3. Cornering at the limit and general car control
  4. Braking - ability to stop the car in the shortest possible distance.
  5. Keeping to speed limits and other road signed regulations.
And which skill to you rate as the most important and why?
  1. Anticipation 5
  2. Handling 3 - Realistically I think I could be wrong footed in snow or on slippery roads.
  3. Cornering 3 (I don't get enough practice at the limit)
  4. Braking 4 - with ABS this is easy but I think I still need to press a bit harder in panic situations and need to get that pressure on sooner.
  5. Regulations 5
I rate anticipation as the No1 skill, you can't IMO do any of the other things unless you have mastered 1.

Glabus: "Was it HDi who said 4 isnt required if 1 was in order?"

Not quite. What I actually said was this:

"4 shouldn't be required very often if 1 is in order."

Glabus: "1 IS most important but, with a proviso. It is just as important to be aware of what is going on around you. Ahead is priority but behind and to both sides is important too.
Obviously, we cannot have 360 vision but awareness of surroundings may help prevent problems or worse. (I'm not going to give instances"

By ahead, I think we mean ahead in time, rather than geometrically ahead exclusively with no regard for side and rear vision.

Last edited: