improving your driving skills

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would you say your driving skills are getting better, about the same or are deteriorating?

What can one do to improve their driving skills?

Funnily enough I've been looking into things like skid pan days and track tuition days. I think I'm quite a good driver, but I've only been driving for 5 1/2 years. I think there is always room for improvement.

My skills are probably detoriating. Last few years I drive a lot less so it must manifest in my driving shape. On good known local roads it is not so obvious, but on less familiar roads, or on first time roads i feel i'm not all i used to be. That feel diminished after a short time which i need to acomodate, but i remember times i was able to choose real good lines even on demanding roads i never drive before.
Some may call it experience. About 6-700 000 km by loose estimation.
Maybe it is just fact i had loosed my suicidal tendencies? :lol:
About tracking the trafic or parking or sneaking trough tight spaces i don't feel any differences.

I think there is always room for improvement.

+1

I do a lot of track days now and my high speed driving skills have improved, but I think I should do the Advance Motoring Test just to polish up my road skills some more :)

Though 'm driving since last 3 years, i think need improvement especially while goin Off Road cz having hell lots of issues while cornering . I need some gud drifting skills around sharp mountain roads, dusty nd loose gravels all around !!

Mine are Definately on the rise Considering as I am starting Lessons for My LGV Class 2 License considering I'm 21 I drive like I have been driving for 20 years

Once I have passed my test, I am going for an PassPlus scheme. Supposed to teach you the stuff your supposed to learn whilst learning to drive, and it lowers the insurance quite a lot.

Though 'm driving since last 3 years, i think need improvement especially while goin Off Road cz having hell lots of issues while cornering . I need some gud drifting skills around sharp mountain roads, dusty nd loose gravels all around !!

After seeing how people drive in India (Ice Road Truckers Deadliest Roads) and hearing the difference from mates I think you'll need very good skills, and a lot of patience with all that horn blowing!

Once I have passed my test, I am going for an PassPlus scheme. Supposed to teach you the stuff your supposed to learn whilst learning to drive, and it lowers the insurance quite a lot.

pass plus gave a discount equivalent to 1 years NCB when the wife done it all those years ago, not bad for £80

It reduced my premium by £300 when I did it. I paid £50 at the time.

Not sure how you could improve.

Here is an IDEA.

Why not have 3 pints of larger then drive home (about 5 miles). This way, you are not drunk enough to plough into a buss stop of old grannies, but you are aware you are breaking the law. Thus, making you drive better as you are more aware of your state and the fact you could lose your licence for 18 months.

This can also be done with a mates car, as you have no insurance. And if you want to really test your skills, combine the two and change the larger for Tennents super. ;)

I was going to do that but when i worked it out, the scheme was actually going to cost more money than it would knock-off my insurance :confused: so I didn't bother!

In thirty years of driving I still have a clean licence and have never been breathylised, so on that basis I think I must be doing something right!

However it doesn't make me a saint :blink1:

My level of patience has dropped but my speed of finger over the horn button has got faster!

As said there is always room for improvement but I think there is nothing like experience and learning first hand through lifes learning. Always a good thing to do skid pan courses and fast driving tuition as it gives you a better understanding with regards car control and how to save a situation. Same goes when towing, always easy until something starts to go wrong.