santapod meet car preparation?

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
Just wandering what are members doing to there cars in preparation for the santapod meet in september??

Me im painting my wheels/brakes
tinting my rear lights
painting my bump strips/wing mirrors
removing al of my work gear
believe it or not im actually going to give the car a clean:amazed:

Tbh my front bumper needs spraying again and my back arches attending to as they are absolutely battered with stone chips. Wheels need refurbing too as brake dust has murdered them and they're flaking in places. House is a priority now though and apart from that she is in tip top shape.

Tbh my front bumper needs spraying again and my back arches attending to as they are absolutely battered with stone chips. Wheels need refurbing too as brake dust has murdered them and they're flaking in places. House is a priority now though and apart from that she is in tip top shape.
does this reply mean you will be attending the santapod meet??
i hope so!!

The Beast is already booked in for a manicure and pedicure at the detailers on Friday 31st August ;)

Going to get the car mapped with the new cams in tomorrow.
Will have some new wheels arriving hopefully on Monday too which might get put on in time.
Also going to make sure I turn on my boost controller this time. Last time I ran up the strip it was turned off so was only hitting 1 bar.
Hopefully get some decent times this time around and meet some new people.

Going to get the car mapped with the new cams in tomorrow.
Will have some new wheels arriving hopefully on Monday too which might get put on in time.
Also going to make sure I turn on my boost controller this time. Last time I ran up the strip it was turned off so was only hitting 1 bar.
Hopefully get some decent times this time around and meet some new people.

sounds good mate looking forward seeing your car!!!

I drove from London last time. Filled up before I left in the morning and that was it for the day.
Got 14 runs in that day too so not too bad really and managed to get back home on the same tank too.

on that note for all us drag strip virgins
do people generally fill up before they get to the strip or run a few times pop out get more petrol and then come back??
Lol Herb, how much petrol do you think your going to use in a quarter of a mile, even if you get 10 runs in, that's only 2 and a half miles...lol

Lol Herb, how much petrol do you think your going to use in a quarter of a mile, even if you get 10 runs in, that's only 2 and a half miles...lol
i work it out to around a gallon per run but i did get a U in my math GCSE:lol:

The turbo kit is much more impressive than the paint job at the moment. Too many stone chips on the front bumper to look amazing.
Sounds the business though :)
just rewatched some of your videos on youtube and all i can say is i like!!

Put some diesel in.
Might give it a wash but i've lost interest tbh.
You'll all hear me clicking along cause the front drivers side wheel still hasn't been fixed.
Needs the front wheels doing as well thanks to me mother. :confused:

If I go (work dependant ) then as Claymore said

Just put petrol in....................... (and when I get there turn on the launch control and lower the tyre pressures)

Out of interest T9 do you know what kind of time you would expect for 1/4 mile ?

just rewatched some of your videos on youtube and all i can say is i like!!

Thanks herb. If you are talking about my race against the supercharged civic that was only 1 bar. Turning the boost controller off instead of up for the whole day was not one of my best moments.
Of course I got plenty of stick for that from my mate when I realised my mistake at the services on the way home :)

If I go (work dependant ) then as Claymore said

Just put petrol in....................... (and when I get there turn on the launch control and lower the tyre pressures)

I am still not sure what lowering the tyre pressure achieves. The way I see it this will make the tyre tread slightly concave, or are we relying on centrifugal forces to straighten out the tread? This will only happen once the tyre is spinning fast and not on the line which is where we need the grip.

If we are trying to increase the size of the contact patch, this will do it but at the expense of reducing the pressure exerted per square inch as the same amount of weight is now spread over a larger area.

Or are we looking for the tyre's 'sweet spot', which may be a few PSI higher or lower than the manufacturers recommendations. I guess that weather conditions (temp, pressure) must also play a part.

Can you enlighten me on this as it would be very useful to know?

Last edited:
Firstly "I know nothing"

Last time I was at the pod I was "told" do this to avoid wheelspin as I was getting it of the line even with awd and 888s.
To put it in perspective It was specific advice for my car on that day and it seemed to work .
As far as I understand it that is the only advantage .

As you say weight of car, power , drive system , tyres and track etc make a huge difference

Source of info (and instruction) was a mate in the GTRoc who is a semi pro in the jap drag car scene and his car has the same awd system .

by semi pro I mean he does 9s most of the time including a recent 9.14 at TOTB last weekend .

That was with a full weight car , In fact he holds the record for both the fastest full weight R34 and R33 skylines

which was good enough for me

just for info I ran 22psi rather than the normal 29 for toyo 888s

Nice, if you can take some good photos of the beast Loz, I shall reward you with a 1/2lb beefburger, extra large fries and the soft drink of your choice :bigsmile:

just for info I ran 22psi rather than the normal 29 for toyo 888s

On thinking about it:

The transfer of weight when accelerating from a standing start increases the pressure bearing down on the tyre tread. This would mean that, if the right pressure was found, the larger contact patch produced by reduced tyre pressure would not result in a lower PSI per suare inch so more usable grip will be available.

If this is so, then the trick is finding the right pressure for your car/tyre/track/weather combination that gives around 2% tyre slip. Did you arriive at 22 through experimentation or recommendation?

I've bought an 8mm fisheye lens for spanky picture taking goodness on the day. :)

A word of advice, if I may be so bold:

For every photo taken with the 8mm take the same one with a standard lens. This way you don't miss the great shot. Fisheye photos can be great for effect but don't overdo it.

OK, maybe that's 2 pieces of advice :)

However, if you are an experienced photographer rather then a snapper, I am trying to teach a grandmother how to suck eggs and will shut up :)

Last edited: