Tmendo

Car
Subaru legacy limit
So i have my ej25 in my 99 legacy with only 6000 miles on it (previous owner got it replaced at almost 200k) and i want to put a turbo on it in the future, what could i begin to do to prepare it to be turbo ready? /should/ i even try to put a turbo on my subaru? I have a beginner to moderate understanding of engines and this is my first car, but i have the desire to get down and dirty and do some tuning

So i have my ej25 in my 99 legacy with only 6000 miles on it (previous owner got it replaced at almost 200k) and i want to put a turbo on it in the future, what could i begin to do to prepare it to be turbo ready? /should/ i even try to put a turbo on my subaru? I have a beginner to moderate understanding of engines and this is my first car, but i have the desire to get down and dirty and do some tuning

'Adding' a turbocharger is hard work. To make a proper go of it you will need to make massive internal changes to the engine, in addition to pipework, manifolds etc. Very expensive to do properly.

But it can be done! Im willing to put in the hours, and money, i anticipate i can start changing and tuning things to get the engine lined up to be ready for turbo without actually putting the turbo in untill the very end right?

by far the easiest way is to install a complete turbo subaru engine especially as Subaru made a twin turbo legacy in 1999 .
You can get a complete car fairly cheap as well which is probably the best option as it will save masses of work

by far the easiest way is to install a complete turbo subaru engine especially as Subaru made a twin turbo legacy in 1999 .
You can get a complete car fairly cheap as well which is probably the best option as it will save masses of work
Sweet thats what i needed, but only the japanese ones had the twin turbo right? How would i get my hands on one of those?

Yes, that's a good point. I did consider buying a Legacy wagon in 1998 but I don't recall seeing anything other than a 2.5 liter flat 4 (H4). No mention of a turbocharged model as far as I recall in Europe, though there definitely have been turbocharged variants available.

Japanese personal import might be an option, but remember than a Japan spec car will be right hand drive (same as UK and Australia).

turbo legacys are common in the uk though all are imports. They did a single and twin turbo.
But the motor is the same 4 cylinder engine in pretty much all cars so you have quite a few options as a donor.
you would need to check your import rules as I know they are strict with skylines under 25 years old.

Actually change of plans im looking into building an ej25
I think this will be easier than the hunt for an already turbocharged engine, and it will also be loads of fun building it being that i want to study mechanical engineering in the near future