Rover 25 1.4 2002

Hull Rover

Car
rover 25 1.4
Help please,
I have a rover 25 1.4 83 bhp i have a piper cross induction kit fitted & RS tail pipe.
If i take off the throttle stop off the throttle housing to take the 30-40 degress to make it open to 90 degress will this give me more bhp & will the accel cable & pedal work OK?
Also will the engine management work OK or should i try some else like chips or re mapping to up the power & bhp.
Cheers
Rog :confused:

Maps and chips will only add 1-2bhp to this engine. It's a limitation of anything without forced induction.

You need to adjust the throttle cable so that is is fully open when the pedal is depressed fully. Having the cable too tight will damage the throttle body. I know what you mean though - I hate slack in the accelerator pedal travel.

Mines a drive-by-wire engine and that is far from perfect in standard tune but the remap took up the slack in the control data.

Hi,
Thanks for the info thats great,
Just checking will i need re map after opening up the throttle to 90 degrees & adjusting the cable, or will the engine management re adjust its self ?
Cheers
Rog :D

The engine management will adjust to that quite happily. It's the normal mode of operation anyway. You're not asking it to do anything it's not already designed to do.

You won't gain a lot with a remap or chip change on that engine anyway. There was a 109bhp version of the 1.4 at one point which definitely had sequential injection. Yours, I think, uses a single one in the throttle body.

I just checked Superchips - they can gain another 5bhp from your engine but to my mind at nearly £300 I'd leave it as it is. They will also get you a slightly smoother torque curve lower down but this will probably be at the expense of fuel economy. There's limits to what you can do with a non-turbo car to be honest. Ok, you can chuck in high lift cams, oversize valves, polish and port the heads etc. but the costs run into thousands of pounds. And still maybe only give you another 20ish bhp. With eye watering fuel consumption as well.

Modern turbo-diesels are the cheap performance options now - a simple remap can give up to 50% more power and torque with no other mods at all.

This particular engine does indeed have a stopper on the throttle body that does not allow it to open fully. If it's the 1.4 16v mpi?

This was done to get it I to a lower insurance group and is the only difference to the 105 bhp version.

The engine management will adjust to that quite happily. It's the normal mode of operation anyway. You're not asking it to do anything it's not already designed to do.

You won't gain a lot with a remap or chip change on that engine anyway. There was a 109bhp version of the 1.4 at one point which definitely had sequential injection. Yours, I think, uses a single one in the throttle body.

I just checked Superchips - they can gain another 5bhp from your engine but to my mind at nearly £300 I'd leave it as it is. They will also get you a slightly smoother torque curve lower down but this will probably be at the expense of fuel economy. There's limits to what you can do with a non-turbo car to be honest. Ok, you can chuck in high lift cams, oversize valves, polish and port the heads etc. but the costs run into thousands of pounds. And still maybe only give you another 20ish bhp. With eye watering fuel consumption as well.

Modern turbo-diesels are the cheap performance options now - a simple remap can give up to 50% more power and torque with no other mods at all.

Cheers thanks for that info thats very helful,
Yes mine is the single throttle body rover 25 02 impression model
I think will open it to 90 degrees & adjust the cable & see how it runs.
Many thanks again
Rog

:D
This particular engine does indeed have a stopper on the throttle body that does not allow it to open fully. If it's the 1.4 16v mpi?

This was done to get it I to a lower insurance group and is the only difference to the 105 bhp version.

Yes mine is the 1.4 16 v 02 year impression s
Many tanks for the info
cheers
Rog

"This particular engine does indeed have a stopper on the throttle body that does not allow it to open fully. If it's the 1.4 16v mpi?

This was done to get it I to a lower insurance group and is the only difference to the 105 bhp version."

I have to admit that I never knew that Rover was so subversive (or un-inventive) as to use throttle stops to reduce power output. I'd assume any mechanic would adjust it to allow a full throttle plate opening without thinking twice. What a silly design feature. It's like making the windscreen from bathroom frosted glass in the belief that if the driver cannot see then he'll drive more slowly and therefore more safely. How daft is that?

SO, yes, do it. I'd view that simply as a maintenance and repair activity. I assume that there are no anti-tamper plugs attached to the throttle stop. In which case you cannot be guilty of tampering with or tuning the engine as there's no proof. And I bet there's to prescription anywhere to say how many degrees the butterfly can open anyway.!!!

Tune away my friend in this situation. Just don't set the cable so that it's putting extra force on the throttle housing once the plate is parallel with the airflow (ie fully open)

Kind regards,

Paul.

:D
"This particular engine does indeed have a stopper on the throttle body that does not allow it to open fully. If it's the 1.4 16v mpi?

This was done to get it I to a lower insurance group and is the only difference to the 105 bhp version."

I have to admit that I never knew that Rover was so subversive (or un-inventive) as to use throttle stops to reduce power output. I'd assume any mechanic would adjust it to allow a full throttle plate opening without thinking twice. What a silly design feature. It's like making the windscreen from bathroom frosted glass in the belief that if the driver cannot see then he'll drive more slowly and therefore more safely. How daft is that?

SO, yes, do it. I'd view that simply as a maintenance and repair activity. I assume that there are no anti-tamper plugs attached to the throttle stop. In which case you cannot be guilty of tampering with or tuning the engine as there's no proof. And I bet there's to prescription anywhere to say how many degrees the butterfly can open anyway.!!!

Tune away my friend in this situation. Just don't set the cable so that it's putting extra force on the throttle housing once the plate is parallel with the airflow (ie fully open)

Kind regards,

Paul.
:D Many thanks Paul for your great advice,
I will do that
Kind regards
Cheers
Roger

Hey Hull Rover, Good to have you on board.

You've inspired me to look into adjusting the throttle housing thingy on my clio 1400cc 8valve.

Does anyone know if i can do this? I've not yet looked at it in detail, except when attaching the induction element.

Many Thankyous
Jeff
:-S

It's worth a look for sure. Even without a throttle travel limiter is possible to make the car feel nicer simply by taking up the stack in a throttle cable that's become worn and stretched.