rover 200

nig

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 200 1.4si ish
hi have not got manual yet but some info needed dose any body know what the weight of the rover 200/ 1.6si in kg,s is and bhp many thanks as may look into losing a few kg,s plus what sort of bhp you can get quite easy .no turbos not struck on them

3dr or 5dr? Hatchback? 3dr is 1025kgs (will be dry weight no doubt) and 109bhp. Not struck on turbos!? :amazed:

lighter than i thought . turbo use a lot of enegy and a lot of heat. depends wot sort of power can be gained. have to be thrashed to work. now a blower oh yes :p
109hp thats crap realy :sad2:

lighter than i thought . turbo use a lot of enegy and a lot of heat. depends wot sort of power can be gained. have to be thrashed to work. now a blower oh yes :p
109hp thats crap realy :sad2:

My car doesn't need to be thrashed to get the turbo spooled up. It winds up at around 2000rpm.

My car doesn't need to be thrashed to get the turbo spooled up. It winds up at around 2000rpm.

i thought thay did or does that show how long ago i had a turbo car. all though my rx7 did shift . i would be happy with 150+ .did think a 1.6 would be standard these days:sad2:

Generally depends on the size of the turbo and the exhaust gases powering it. A standard GT for example has full boost just before 3,000rpm on a standard turbo. I'd expect a full 1600 build with management and headwork to be able to achieve full boost around the same with a GT2554R or equivelent turbo. This is about the size of the turbo Nissan 200SXs have as standard I think, just to put it into context. I'd also expect at least 260+bhp and a damn good torque figure.

You'll struggle to get 150 if you keep it NA.

Last edited:
Generally depends on the size of the turbo and the exhaust gases powering it. A standard GT for example has full boost just before 3,000rpm on a standard turbo. I'd expect a full 1600 build with management and headwork to be able to achieve full boost around the same with a GT2554R or equivelent turbo. This is about the size of the turbo Nissan 200SXs have as standard I think, just to put it into context. I'd also expect at least 260+bhp and a damn good torque figure.

whats the N/A and many thanks too all.

A 1.6 would require extensive work to get it to 260bhp. I'd say the easiest and cheapest option here would be a transplant.
And 200sx's are T25 turbo's as standard. But they are only rated to 200 bhp the same as my 620 ti. Infact they are officially rated at 180 bhp but run at 200bhp

A 1.6 would require extensive work to get it to 260bhp. I'd say the easiest and cheapest option here would be a transplant.

I agree. Didn't say it was going to be cheap or straight-forwards, not sure I completely agree with extensive work though tbh. Just a matter of perspective I suppose.

As long as the transplant doesn't require custom mounts, driveshafts, bulkhead cutting etc and you can do it yourself, it can be done comparatively cheaply but if you know where to look and what to do, so can turbo or supercharging an NA engine.

Seriously getting that sort of power from a 1.6 will require extensive internal engine work. Pistons and conrods for a start are quite expensive. It would be easier to acheive that bhp with a bigger engine.

150 bhp would be fine keep it cheap as poss for now

anybody now of any links or some one who has swaped a engine a simple engine swap something that would drop in with out to much work like a 1.8 or 2.0 any help would be handy . many thanks

anybody now of any links or some one who has swaped a engine a simple engine swap something that would drop in with out to much work like a 1.8 or 2.0 any help would be handy . many thanks

And i've also heard today that the T16 engine goes in without too much hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously getting that sort of power from a 1.6 will require extensive internal engine work. Pistons and conrods for a start are quite expensive. It would be easier to acheive that bhp with a bigger engine.

You're telling the wrong person mate, I have £1700's worth of forged 1600 bottom end sitting in my room. I know exactly what work and parts are needed and at what cost. I am aiming for 300bhp btw.

There's several 300bhp 1400's around also. If a job can be done with mostly off-the-shelf parts and a bit of machining, I don't see it as particularily extensive.

Like I said, expense and amount of work is just a matter of perspective. Easier? Yes. But not everybody wants easy. SERIOUSLY, do some real research before you try and tell me what work is needed.

If you want to keep it simple and 'in the family' then there is always the 1.8 VVC from the ZR160 to look at, the Vi and also the K-series 4 pot Turbo as found in the ZT160. I too have heard of T-series conversions and 2.5 KV6.

You're telling the wrong person mate, I have £1700's worth of forged 1600 bottom end sitting in my room. I know exactly what work and parts are needed and at what cost. I am aiming for 300bhp btw.

That is my point. You will never ever get 260 bhp out of a 1.6 without extensive engine mods. You have already said that you have the bottom end. But at what cost £1700. Which is alot of money. Plus that is only the bottom end of the engine. What about the head and fuelling? You would be looking at more than the car is worth. The cheapest option would be an engine transplant. There is no way on earth that you would get 260bhp out of a 1.6 without alot of money and extensive engine work which is all I said in the first place.

But at what cost £1700. You would be looking at more than the car is worth. The cheapest option would be an engine transplant. There is no way on earth that you would get 260bhp out of a 1.6 without alot of money and extensive engine work which is all I said in the first place.

Didn't cost me anywhere near £1700, but that's what it'd cost you ;) Engine etc is and will be worth many times what the car is, but that's not the point is it.

I agree that an engine transplant would be second-to-most cost effective, but no budget was mentioned. My disagreement is with the statement that it would cost a lot of money and require extensive engine work as that's a matter of perspective. It might seem expensive and a lot of work to someone with no experience in such things, but if you're around it everyday it's a fairly straight-forward job (despite creating a hybrid engine of sorts) and is at the low-cost end of proper tuning already.

I would not take turbocharged car modification advice off somebody whos performance mods extend to an aftermarket boost gauge and decat.

I would not take turbocharged car modification advice off somebody whos performance mods extend to an aftermarket boost gauge and decat.

But I'm not giving you my opinion it's nig that my opinions are for. I have only had my car a few months and it is broken at the minute thats why there is only minimal mods on it and the fact that I have a son that I look after full time so most of my money and time goes on him. And yes I will be doing everything myself to the car. Including a resrap in the summer. My point again is that 260 bhp out of a 1.6 Will require extensive work. It doesn't matter who does it, it is still extensive work that would cost Thousands of pounds.

But perspective thinking is not reality. In reality it would probably be cheaper to buy a car with 260 odd bhp standard in the short term and the long term.

I get the idea than MA's idea is to produce a car that has an outrageously high specific output from the engine. I agree, it probably would be cheaper to buy a 260bhp car outright but the point of this exercise is to defy conventional thinking.

It's like the olympics. Is the athlete who can fling a hammer 85 years the best hammer thrower in the world, or simply the best hammer thrower from amongst a group of people who have devoted the last four years of their lives mastering the throwing of hammers?

The above paragraph must be credited to Jeremy Clarkson. But, it show the point.

MA is in pursuit of technical and mechanical excellence. Buying a car with 260bhp as standard is not the objective here.

if i wanted 260+ would buy a bigger motor. but thanks lots to all.