Remap?

CitizenErazed

Torque Junkie
Car
1.4 Tigra MK1
From what i've heard of remaps they're a good idea but I'm not sure about weather it's a good time for me? At the moment I'm looking at handling and styling, then power latter down the line with the likes of a turbo, but that could be years away so would it be worth getting a remap now to give me the benefits in the mean time and then get another remap after the turbo and power upgrades, or just wait a few years until after the turbo?

Also, how much would a remap on my car cost?

You want get very good gains on your Tigra tbh. If powers taking a back seat I'd leave it out for now. Not sure of the price of an OBD2 remap, I only know prices and hours for proper standalone dyno remaps, but I'm guessing around the 200 squid mark.

A lot of people focus,

On the peak power gain when talking about tuning.
This should be put into perspective.

An engine only makes peak power for less than a second when accelerating, the rate at what it is accelerating at (mechanical power-wise, not gearing or car weight) is what gets the engine to peak power.

Indicating the average power increase, and not only the peak output, is a better way to illustrate how the car will behave with tuning. During acceleration, for example when overtaking, it’s the area under the power graph in the current rpm interval that determines how fast the car will accelerate. The average power generally tells more about the acceleration than the stated peak output.

e.g. A car with a 2.5litre engine (manual box and rwd) was dyno'd and gave 137rwhp (corrected to J607 and exactly as advertised by the manufacturer, which is unusual).
It was then re-chipped, dyno'd again and showed a 6rwhp gain after atmospheric correction; 143hp.

6rwhp translates to about 7 or 8hp at the crank in a manual rwd car. That doesn't seem worth it at face value.

This doesn't mean it wasn't any different to drive though.
If you looked closely at the car's dyno graph; with the performance chip fitted, the car was making the same power as it did with the o.e. chip, but it was all happening 250rpm earlier.
i.e. if it was making 100rwhp @ 3000rpm on the o.e. chip, it was making 100rwhp at 2,750rpm with the aftermarket one; and this was happening all the way from 1500rpm through to 6,200rpm.

The average power (from 1500 all the way to 6,200rpm) had jumped up considerably and it was noticeable on the road. It improved the 30-70mph acceleration by approximately 0.5 seconds. That, is not to be sniffed at.
The car felt livelier and more responsive to the throttle.
It was money well spent in that particular case.

A good explanation about average power here:-

http://www.impulsengine.com/performance/moreav.shtml

Last edited:
I was the first at reidyremaps to get my ZS180 done, I was the guinea pig so would not cost me if there was no gain or not happy with it. I have found a marked difference to the standard map and the slight torque increase is noticeable on motorway driving. Worth it on some cars, but probaly not on the likes of yours. Focus on the handling and decent quality tyres, control outways speed.

Didn't read all of what Sid said as it's far too long but I'm glad somebody understands that it's all about the cuuurves baby ;)

So if I understand you correctly you're saying that all though it wont make my maximum engine output much higher it will allow me to get to that output much faster?

So if I understand you correctly you're saying that all though it wont make my maximum engine output much higher it will allow me to get to that output much faster?

If it's combined with a decent intake system (CAI so that hot engine bay air is shielded or blocked off from the intake entry) along with a lower back-pressure exhaust system,.....yes, you'd feel the difference.

Yeh I need to sort out my cold air intake, the induction kit that was on the car when I bought it was just shoved on under the bonnet.

I think I' will leave it for now, but will keep in mind everything you've said for further down the line