recover dash in Acantara

Papa J

Wrench Pro
Car
Sharan 1.8T Sport
If I was to recover my vinyl dash board in say Alcantara or fake suede do I need to peel off the original vinyl first? or can I just stick over the top? I guess I'm thinking about around the plastics, etc.. Thanks for any ideas. :lol:

i think you can just put it over the top, but peelin off the original might leave you with a better finish and it would be flush

The big problem is getting the trim back on. Shaving the edges (from behind) of the new covering to make it thinner will help with this. Most guys I know leave the original in place but to get good adhesion you may need to rough it up a bit, at the very least it should get a thorough cleaning.

I thought it was going to take a bit of tinkering around. I think I'll leave the original on and rough it up. I found one place that sells it by the 50Mtr roll? And on ebay they seem only to sell the stuff with foam backing for seating.. Do any of you guys know to buy the Alcantara without the backing in reasonable lengths say 5 mtrs worth?
cheers

If I was to recover my vinyl dash board in say Alcantara or fake suede do I need to peel off the original vinyl first? or can I just stick over the top? I guess I'm thinking about around the plastics, etc.. Thanks for any ideas. :lol:
do what u thinks best:p