Rebuild Engine to " zero " millage

roryp15

Tuner
Car
VW Golf Gt Tdi
What would have to be done to a high millage engine back to a like new status ?

New pistons, rods, crank ? what else would have to be done ?

Would it have to go to a machine shop to get done?

Im sure ive missed loads:blink:

Hi, I'm actually about to do the same thing with a small V6 in a few months. I bought this book to help me through the rebuilding process. If you want to rebuild your engine back to "zero milage condition" then I strongly recommend you buy it. I've thumbed through it and it seems to be an invaluable source of knowledge. It lists all the tools you'll need and how to use them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engine-Buil...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262428580&sr=1-1

I hope that helps.

I suppose a "like new" status would require new everything. Don't forget the head too. New water Pump, oil pump, all new gaskets and bearings, rings, belts etc etc. Get the bores honed at least or overbored and use oversized pistons to ensure they're round. If you're going to rebuild, get everything balanced up together and have the head skimmed but get the block checked for flatness too.

Unless your pistons (unless you overbore), rods and crank are damaged or worn new ones aren't necessary at all.

If there's nothing wrong with the engine (I have a sneaking suspicion you want to rebuild for the sake of it) I wouldn't bother. Just wait until something is wrong.

New core plugs, new valves etc...

Machining the crank gives a better than new build if knife edged! :) In fact most rebuilds turn out much better than a standard new engine.