Carburettor Rebuild

Cabbage

Hi all,

I have a 1987 Renault 5 Monaco (GTX). It has a twin choke carburettor which menas it shifts quite nicely. However seeing as its quite old I'm wondering whether I'll likely see much improvement (power wise) from rebuilding the carburettor and cleaning out the jets etc?

Hi Cabbage - welcome to torquecars. Do you know what you are doing - setting up a Twin Carb is a nightmare job! I would seriously think twice about stripping and rebuilding.

Good quality carb cleaner or redex (try POWERBOOST spray) will help but I would leave a rebuild to someone who quotes for the JOB not the HOURS spent!!!

What mods you done? The Monaco is the one with leather seats isn't it? I use to have a Renault 9 - that was a dog to work on - all the spanner sizes were wierd!!!

Thanks waynne. Its not a twin carb set up, its a twin choke carb. So a single carb with twin venturis. The second venturi opens when you push the accelerator right down to give you an extra boost. I havent put Redex through it yet, do you recommend it?

So far the only mods (engine wise) are an induction kit. I would look at cams but no one does them for this engine!! This engine is shared by the volvo 440 though so it is possible to source the turbo off of that and turbo my car but thats a lot of work!

Sorry Cabbage - My mistake! I was thinking back to a set of twin 40's on a ford engine. I dont' know much about the twin chokes!

Redex is pretty good - I find I get better mpg when I use it regularly and it does keep things clean. With a carb you dribble the redex in for an initial clean up - the varnish and gunk burns off in the engine and you'll get a ton of smoke so make sure your neighbours dont have their washing out. Then just dose each tankful of petrol.

Obviously its not a good as a strip and rebuild but for convenience and hassle it has to be worth a shot.

Ok cool, I'll give that a try. Would rebuilding the carb make a difference or shall I just listen to my dad (lol) and follow the "if it aint broke dont fix it" philosophy??

Yeah this is the car with the leather seats, and yeah they're a dog to work on. God forbid you ever have to change the starter motor on a renault 5 :shock:

Your dads right. :lol: Sometimes the gunk coating covers up cracks and leaks. I don't know how many times I've cleaned something to find that thedirt was literally holding it together!!

A clean up and rebuild of the head would have a much better result than just cleaning the carb :shock: :!: I really don't think its worth the hassle or risk of messing with your carb.