Reading maps

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When you are reading a map do you turn the map round to face the direction you are going in or do you do this in your head?

It depends on how complicated the map is.

If I go walkies and get the OS out I 'orientate' the map, which is necessary if I need to take a bearing.

Although this method didn't help me much when my friend and I climbed Scafell Pike in low cloud whilst inebriated. 12 hours it took. Bit of an adventure, mind.

i never use a map, if i get lost i look at it as an adventure, might see something i like
i do however have this thing in my head, its like i know which way is which

lets say i need to go straight on for the location, but i decide to take a detour
no matter how many bends, rights, lefts i take. 99% of the time i know that i need to head in a direction to bring me back on to the rd i should be on. its like im a compass head

are ye the same, or am i just mad??

i never use a map, if i get lost i look at it as an adventure, might see something i like
i do however have this thing in my head, its like i know which way is which

lets say i need to go straight on for the location, but i decide to take a detour
no matter how many bends, rights, lefts i take. 99% of the time i know that i need to head in a direction to bring me back on to the rd i should be on. its like im a compass head

are ye the same, or am i just mad??

I'm like that as it happens :D

I always carry a map incase things go wrong with the sat nav. It has been known to freeze up. The sat nav rotates the map for me but I have to do it myself with a real map!

i suppose if i was going through europe id definatly have 1, but you cant get lost in ireland, its impossible,
believe me, ive tried

never used a map while driving, always had a gps reciever attached to my diagnostics laptop, when going on a trip i would switch it on. never had it freeze up though. although when on liberty in other countires i love maps. give me a street name or an intersection and no matter how lost i am i can get you there. and turbo/prevtec, i do the direction thing as well. drives the wife bonkers when she has the map and i know where we have to go better than she does.

I do it most of the time. I went to derby the other week an all I did was have a quick look on multi map before I went to see where I was going and went without any map an got there no problems.....:D

Same with me actually. Once I know where I am going, I can get there.

I just usually do a quick google map on the destination, done :)

Also, when people ask me to take them home from school (I usually go pick my mate up from school when I am bored and we go pick some other mates up), I always remember their house after the first time I drop them off, even if I haven't seen them for like 6 months :)

Same with me actually. Once I know where I am going, I can get there.

I just usually do a quick google map on the destination, done :)

Also, when people ask me to take them home from school (I usually go pick my mate up from school when I am bored and we go pick some other mates up), I always remember their house after the first time I drop them off, even if I haven't seen them for like 6 months :)

Wierd isn't it. I'm the same. Sometimes though I only remember when I actually get there. I mean I wouldn't remember what house or whatever it is but as soon as I enter the street I remember.....wierd..lol:D

oriantate the map if im out and about, but your touristy style street maps i do the working out in my head.
my satnav only rotates is its on navigation otherwise it stayst he same way all the time