Priorities when buying

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When you look to buy a car what sort of things do you look at?

Is the BHP, 0-60 or MPG stats important to you? Do you get into a car test it and buy it without really narrowing down the makes and models you'd buy first.

If you have a friend with the same car does this influence your decision?

as long as it quick and looks good the MPG does not bother me at all.

When i brought the gt4 i only went to look gave it a long test drive and just decided there and then i wanted it.

My friends are not really into cars so they think its stupid that i waste money on modifying them

is it a manual legnum?
is it road legal?
how much is it?
what mods have been done?
when can i afford it?

the next car will be exactly the same questions with small addition to the first one. is it a facelift manual legnum?

When I was looking to change the ageing Discovery I had a simple list consisting of:
  • Estate-big enough for my three Dalmatians.
  • Diesel engine-economy and plenty of torque for towing.
  • A decent amount of power to keep me happy but not sacrificing mpg.
  • 4x4 would have been nice but not mandatory.
  • kerbside weight had to be correct for my towing combination.
  • MPG as I commute 350 miles a week.
  • Comfort-as my back is not as good as it once was!
  • ideally something under 5 years old if within budget.
From this a shortlist was drawn up and I ended up buying something I hadn't considered!

Is it fun to drive?
Is it quick?
Is it JDM
What mods have been done?
What mods can I offord?
Will it dominate the track?

Sometimes though I buy cars just to mod & sell. Speaking of which I'll get some pics of the Audi up soon...

1) is there a quicker reliable awd jap estate...............

looks like I will be keping it

For my work car

1)It has to be a 2 door saloon with a large boot , (not a hatchback)
2)It has to look sensible enough to go under the radar
3)Must look the part without any mods
4)Auto for driving around town and must do 30mpg on unleaded but still be ok to drive.
5)has to be able to handle constant abuse like a honda ( cuts down the choice)
6)and cost less that £3k

Ive looked many times but cant find anything except my 2003 honda civic which is why i still have it after 4 years

I read every car review I can find to see which generally is the most favoured car, (Usually Fords and BMW's rate 5 stars) Then I take my time to find a car with as few owners as possible and a Full Service History and then of course Price, which usually means I am buying a high mileage car, Works for me.

hmm....my last thoughts were:

Is it a GTO?
Is it Twin Turbo?
Is it a Mk 1?
Does it look nice?

seems as though i didn't put enough thought into it as i'm having to spend lots of money putting lots of things right :p

a friend car could determine what car you buy, i think. you must have ridden on it several times or heard them talk about it's good and bad qualities. determines whether you buy it or not

One thing I encountered with quite a lot of people trying to buy a different car was insurance costs. To most of us it's a sort or pre requisite of looking at a motor, finding out if we can afford to legally own it or keep it where we live. To many people out there, it's the last thing that they think of.

If its my daily road car it must be as economical as possible but have enough Power to overtake on the Motorway. So the Missus Pug 107 is not on any list ;). As im an oap the word comfort & being able to get out at the end of a 3 hour journey is begining to creep into the priority list. Power & Performance are no longer on the list & a convertible brings on a cold just thinking about it. The days when fast cars could be enjoyed on a daily basis are well & truely gone its not worth the aggro or hastle of trying to defeat the law too many times.
If its my fun car it must be as fast as my budget allows & I will then make it go faster still :p. I then go into invincible mode & try to outwit those intent on locking me up for life when my speed is read out in court ;).

When i bought my car i only had my eyes on that one model. Wanted a cool, aggressive, loud sports car that sent a message to hippies:toung:
MPG didnt matter so long as it didnt completely rape my wallet, and didnt even think about insurance until i found out how expensive it is...:embarrest:
It's big on the outside, small on the inside, too low and big for finnish roads and has a big engine with huge consumption for it's horsepower. Just as i like it, then:love: