Total 126.9

So if product was to cost 18p then=

Duty will probably stay at 58.95
Product 18.0
Retail/Delivery 5p
VAT 16.39
Total 98.34

Not quite 18p/ltr :)

Micro beads?! I'm skeptical of this. I guess it will end up at a similar price to LPG but the oil companies will be pretty unhappy about this development if true.

A good find RB!

I'm sceptical as well but willing to watch with interest.

Personally I think anyone who develops a fuel which destroys the market for crude oil and also wrecks the fuel duty chargeable will possibly find themselves with a price on their head.

what epic news! even if the price hit £2.00 a litre i'd be a little upset I may even shed a tear but this means we can still keep our proper cars and not be forced to drive electric crap we don't want or need

BRILLIANT !!!!

If this ever does reach the mass market before the fuel companies get hold of it, what would happen to the new road tax system as it grades it on the amount of CO2 produced per mile or kilometre, if you're still using the same engine but not producing any CO2 what should you pay?

Last edited:
I doubt we're going to see any kind of combustion engine which produces no CO2 unless it runs on pure hydrogen mixed with air - the air thus providing the oxygen necessary for combustion.

We're not ready politically, nor socially, for fully electric cars. Nor is the technology sufficient to provide usable range and performance.

Anyway, if these [electric cars] becamse readily available and cheap what would we do with all the cars we have at the moment? Landfill? That's gonna be really good for the environment, isn't it? This is something that the tree huggers forget.

I don't have a problem with electric cars per se, but if we're going to do it properly then we have to adopt nuclear energy for electricity generation. Nothing else is remotely efficient enough. I am in favour of nuclear generation - it's clean and quiet.

Electric cars are quiet, too. Something I like. Some argue about pedestrian safety because they'd not hear the things approaching, but if every car was electrically propelled then there'd be no petrol and diesel engines to mask the small amount of noise an electric car makes. Whole towns would become quieter places in general.

There's another benfit, too. If electric cars become commonplace then the remaining fossil fuels will last longer so we can carry on driving our liquid fuelled cars for longer if that's what we choose to do.