Diesel vs old petrol - Top Trumps for emissions

Lunchmoney

The Torque Meister
Car
'98 JDM Impreza STI
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust

On top of the test the article also mentions about new charges for driving in London - Ultra Low Emissions Zone. It doesn't mention what that is exactly, but I think it's safe to assume my Scooby is not allowed in London :)

Regarding keeping your lungs and blood safe:
"The closer you get to an exhaust pipe the more serious the problem is, the air at a busy junction is worse than on a quiet street a stone's throw away.

[Prof Frank] Kelly recommends using back streets and keeping away from the kerb. This is not some amorphous cloud. Each individual car's exhaust is causing damage to individual people on every street."

He talks about the differences between NOx (the killer of people) vs CO2 (the killer of atmosphere) and points out why tax breaks were given for low CO2 cars.

All before the actual test of the two cars in question and the results; which I wont spoil :)

All in all a good read.

Interesting results and just goes to show the lab tests are way off the mark when it comes to real world conditions. Not the results I was expecting and I won't spoil it for others.