Pearl

This car is my first project car. I got it just a couple months ago and I'm going to build it up little by little as I can afford. As I mod it, I'll post updates here.

My exhaust as it is now- going for a full 3" race exhaust soon, but here it is now:

As of June 2015:
Injen SRI
Uniq rigid subframe collars
dropped muffler, replaced with stinger
various cooling tweaks under the hood
rebadged the Hyundai badges with Art of Speed badges
IC grill LED custom lighting mod
Interior red LED map lights and custom footwell lighting
Deltalip rear lip spoiler

Attachments

• 2015-05-31_22-09-49_Night.jpg
    2015-05-31_22-09-49_Night.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20150427_113109.jpg
    20150427_113109.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150427_113122.jpg
    20150427_113122.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150427_113142.jpg
    20150427_113142.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150519_202441.jpg
    20150519_202441.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150529_193321.jpg
    20150529_193321.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 6
I am a litle perplexed as to why you are fitting a full race exhaust system on to what looks like, from the above spec, a pretty standard engine?

Also, what do you mean by 'stinger'?

Reactions: Teo
It's standard now, but future upgrades will take advantage of the bigger exhaust. Plus it'll give the car some extra power right away even before the future tune. The stock exhaust as it is has a huge constriction after the cat. It's horrible. Plus I want it loud.

Stinger is a straight single exit pipe to replace the muffler.

Yes, it's 2.0t. The twin scroll turbo produces up to 18.7 psi boost right now. A safe tune will get it up over 20. I doubt I'll replace the turbo or go full out build but I am going to maximize what I have.

What do you all think of race motor mounts? Can the extra vibration damage the car?

If you are not going to go full race build then you won't need a full race exhaust (and it will compromise your power output). Go to a respected exhaust fabricator and get one made to match your final engine spec.....

Why do you want full race (by that I assume you mean solid) mounts on a road car? All they will achieve is an increase in incar vibration noise. However they can also find any weak spots in the chassis/mount welds. If you want to increase the stiffness I am sure that you can find uprated versions, but I recommend that you don't go rigid on a road car.

This, of course, is only my opinion :)

I'm afraid of that too so I'll probably just go for uprated mounts. It's a fairly cheap upgrade. The extra vibration wouldn't bother me, but you're right about being bad for the car.

The reading I've done has said that between 2.5" to 3" exhaust is perfect for 300 bhp turbo car. Dyno sheets I've seen suggest a real gain of around 10 hp with just a new 3" catback exhaust. The one I'm looking at is 3" cat back straight pipe with a resonator that had dual exit with quad burnt tips. The O2 housing has the primary cat and im not mesing with it. the downpipe restricts somewhat to around 2.5" and I may upgrade to 3" but I don't think I'll have to. The oem exhaust restricts to less than 2" at one point in the mid pipe. It's gotta go.

My system is 3" and is designed for 520bhp on pump fuel and 600 on Q16 race juice. If it was my choice I would go with 2.5". A little more ground clearance and better gas velocities.

Painted the calipers and hub black today. There's a before and after pic. I could not find high heat primer and so I went with no primer rather than regular primer that'd bubble. I used caliper paint for all of it. I hope the primer thing doesn't come back to bite me.

Attachments

• 20150301_163647.jpg
    20150301_163647.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20150608_095507.jpg
    20150608_095507.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20150608_101542.jpg
    20150608_101542.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2
That has certainly tidied it up. However, you need to work on your masking technique :) Take the tape onto the area to be painted then trim back with a very sharp knife. This is a lot easier than trying to mask a circle with straight lines.

Or, I drive it and it looks perfect now. Why use an exacto knife when the brakes themselves will tidy it up?

Do you bitch about everything or can you stop judging and STFU? You talk too much and know too little IMHO. I don't post about your car and it's issues, that's YOUR choice. You'd do well to say nothing unless you have something constructive to say. You're really not that helpful.

Wow! I compliment on the look but make a suggestion and you bite me? I didn't think that the pads got that close to the inside edge of the rotor (and taking a closer look at the photo, they don't).

If you post close up photos then you have to expect various comments, ranging from complimentary to 'that is just plain wrong'. I was trying to be helpful with a simple trick that many people aren't aware of.

On rereading my post I could have worded it a little better and I am sorry if I hit a nerve but I would have thought that suggesting a better way to mask the rotor was being constructive. We obviously have a different understanding of the meaning of the word.

I post a fair amount as it appears that members are interested in my project, judging by the view count, and it is great when members make suggestions or question my methods as, as you say, I know SFA but am willing to learn.

Here is my next ride that is scheduled to arrive the end of August 2015. Can't wait for all that noise and tire expense! :rofl:|B

Or, I drive it and it looks perfect now. Why use an exacto knife when the brakes themselves will tidy it up?

Do you bitch about everything or can you stop judging and STFU? You talk too much and know too little IMHO. I don't post about your car and it's issues, that's YOUR choice. You'd do well to say nothing unless you have something constructive to say. You're really not that helpful.

I really wouldn't suggest OG knows very little.

Easily the most knowledgeable man I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Also, bare in mind he is older and has had a lot of experience building and stripping cars. The wisdom he provides is from far greater experience then either of us can comprehend.

Before you do decide to ramble about our members, its an open forum and people are entitled to offer guidance and support.