Offensive number plate withdrawn

I wish that was me that happend to. £1000 fine for something they sold to him?? Id take them to court. I would sell the numberplate back to them for no less then 20K. If they decline, then Id keep using it.

The cheek of them. Just shows they are stupid and think they are above the law and make it up as they go along.

I can't see the problem. To quote:

A spokesman for the DVLA told The Daily Mail: "DVLA tries to identify combinations that may cause offence, and on the rare occasion where potentially offensive numbers slip through the net, steps are taken to withdraw the registration number.
"This particular registration plate has been withdrawn, therefore it is an offence for the driver to still be displaying it. He would receive a refund for the plate."

They missed this, potentially, offensive plate so have withdrawn it and the buyer will receive a refund. Can't see a problem with that.

Nothing has been made up, they are following a well documented procedure for rectifying a mistake.

The debate should be about whether the plate is offensive. It doesn't spell anything bad, you have to use your dirty imagination :)

They missed this, potentially, offensive plate so have withdrawn it and the buyer will receive a refund. Can't see a problem with that.

The debate should be about whether the plate is offensive. It doesn't spell anything bad, you have to use your dirty imagination :)

And there it is in a nutshell OG - Imagination! Because if they can only link the number plate to something offensive by using 'Imagination' and threaten court action and get away with it, then we are on the slippery slope to being judged guilty before actually having done the crime.

If the number plate can only read something bad by altering the spacing from it's legal state and the photo in the article would suggest that this is not the case! then that to me is what the DVLA are saying about the man before he has actually done anything wrong. I think they should just leave him with the plate and if he alters it in anyway then they have a case against him!

Merely my own thoughts OG - rightly or wrongly! :)

I thought the word in question is not actually a swear word but a term used for clergymen? I remember a story back in the 70s when the Sex Pistols album titled 'Never Mind The B*******' was being advertised and people complained about the posters in record shop windows. In court the defense brought in someone, who apparently was a monk, and he explained that it was a term used back in the 18th century and not used as profanity as it is associated today.

Who decides a word is profanity and applies a law against it? I cannot see why it was pulled, as OG said whoever reads it and sees something else obviously knows the word themselves!

If the DVLA had noticed the 'potential' for the plate to cause 'offence' before it was issued they wouldn't have sold it. Having realised their mistake they have now rectified it. I'm guessing that there was some discussion at the DVLA as to whether this should be pulled and they decided to err on the safe side.

We all know 4 letter swear words but wouldn't expect to see them on a regisitration plate. The argument here is whether this plate can be classed as being able to be be displaying as a swear word. Not the worst word in the Englisn lexicon, but it is still used as an expletive.

If the DVLA had noticed the 'potential' for the plate to cause 'offence' before it was issued they wouldn't have sold it. Having realised their mistake they have now rectified it. I'm guessing that there was some discussion at the DVLA as to whether this should be pulled and they decided to err on the safe side.

We all know 4 letter swear words but wouldn't expect to see them on a regisitration plate. The argument here is whether this plate can be classed as being able to be be displaying as a swear word. Not the worst word in the Englisn lexicon, but it is still used as an expletive.

Old Git, I wish you would have bought the plate. You would put the DVLA back to where they belong!! :D

I always enjoy a good argument, but I have to say, I am usually on the losing end when it comes to the DVLA. They seem untouchable. It annoys me how ignorant they can be.

I know in the states they have clamped down hard on registration plates as they can be made up, some were found to have code and hidden meanings and the teams involved had to be switched on to deal with the versions being filed.

Old Git, I wish you would have bought the plate. You would put the DVLA back to where they belong!! :D

I always enjoy a good argument, but I have to say, I am usually on the losing end when it comes to the DVLA. They seem untouchable. It annoys me how ignorant they can be.

I suppose it depends on your experience with them. I have had a lot to do with them over the last few years, what with having cars pre SORN regulations and many cars on SORN. I have found them (and they are human) helpful, well informed and I have never experienced any ignorance. They have to deal with a lot of idiots and ignorant morons and it can be very difficult to keep it professional (I know what iti is like, having dealt with the public for 39 years). They even refunded a fine I was sent due to a mix up with a SORN.

If I had bought the plate I would alsohave been annoyed when they took it back, but you wouldn't have seen it in the press! Now, they are the people I don't like - due to experiences when working for the local authority :)

OG - I sold my mazda to a mate, who put it on trade (as to keep the owners list down so the car can hold its value) and the DVLA said to me, that because someone in there office messed up, and because I didn't get a letter 6 weeks after, then they would bill me for not getting the letter. I explained to them that they had messed up, and put him as a keeper (how I don't know as it is a diff part of the V5 Doc you fill in) I had to pay a £60 fine. I spoke to a guy who was not interested in the slightest and advised I just payed the bill as to not get anyone in trouble!! :amazed: After speeking to the mgr, They said I would have to right a letter to the glasgow debt collecters they had used to get it cancelled. I explained that due to this not being my fault, they should have to do it.

Didn't find them helpfull in the slightest.

And on another occation, I sent a V5 Doc after buying a car to them (recorded del (as always)) they sent it back cattle class, never got to me and tried billing me for not getting it! :amazed: I launched a complaint and the matter went away. They will do anything to get money off them, and as I am a tax payer and pay plenty of tax, I refuse giving them any extra.

Personally I don't see any issue with the plate. There are way bigger issues to deal with than if a plate MIGHT be offensive or not. I say let them keep them. It shouldn't be up to the government to police people as to whether or not they offend people. It might be unprofessional but in the end, its just somebody having a bit of fun and if it offends you, don't look.