How Do I Sell Private Number Plates?

Curd

Tuner
Car
91 Mitsubishi GTOTT
I recently decided to sell the private number plates from 2 of my cars as they have no meaning to me, and in return buy one for my GTO.

I had them valued on regtransfers.co.uk and when I rang them to make the changes they seemed keen to take them, I was happy going with it until the moment came when they said that I won't receive any money until they have sold the plates on, and on top of that i would have to pay them the money for the plate i wanted....so they would have my 2 plates and all the money i payed for the the one i had, and i would be 2 plates down and out of pocket?

What if the plates never sell? Would I never get payed?
I just wanted to swap my 2 plates for 1 of theirs...mine were even valued higher than the one i was buying, so it makes sense to me to just swap them over and no more hassle. I wouldn't even want the difference in money.

Is this how it works everywhere with private number plates? or do you just have to stick them on e-bay?

Its worth remembering that number plate agencies exist solely for their benefit They are there to make a profit not for plate owners.

If you allow them to sell your plate for you they will want to make as much as they can.
Often they will quote " a good price " to you and then add their bit. This often prices it too high .
Of course this is no worry to them becauseif it doesnt sell it has cost them nothing .

They will also often have a clause that means if you sell it yourself or someone else does ( another agency) while they are advertisng it they still get a cut.

You are much better off advertising the number yourself at a sensible price. If it has any car interest ( say jag 123) advertise it on a jag forum that is all the agency will do.

If someone wants your number they will buy it and most people prefer not to deal with agencies as a lot of "sales" fall through.

It depend on what reistration number you have .
Somewhere where the registration means something would be the obvious choice.

ebay is probably worth a try. Just make sure you make it absolutely clear it is your number to sell and it is available immeadiately