Near miss! With a lesson learnt!

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Blatting through town dead on 30mph round a really tight blind left hand bend. There was a Numptie right on my boot though!

Anyway a car was coming the other way towards me requiring me to stop dead. This is fairly common on that bend so I know I can get the anchors on pretty quickly.

Stopping is never a problem with my sharp brakes .................. but the Clio behind struggled, I had to roll forwards a few feet as I heard the screeching of tyres to give the moron a bit more room.

Moral - Drive to the limit of what the driver behinds car can probably cope with!

That sickening feeling of someone screeching towards you is unpleasant.

Waynne - have you uprated the brakes on your A3? I friend or mine has a 99/T registered 3dr 1.8T, so same car basically, but she complains that the brakes are lifeless. And I tend to agree, they need quite a shove to get a satisfactory response.

Waynne - have you uprated the brakes on your A3? I friend or mine has a 99/T registered 3dr 1.8T, so same car basically, but she complains that the brakes are lifeless. And I tend to agree, they need quite a shove to get a satisfactory response.

Or is that because she's the 'maintenance is optional' type of driver? Perhaps the brakes are just over worn, old fluid etc doesn't help and I know her car is not overly familiar with the inside of a workshop.

It's a trait I've not found in any other Audi - they all seem to have decent braking setups as standard.

Nope - brakes are standard. Front are vented though. The brakes in the Toyota we had were sharper (in that they come on a lot quicker) but no where near as effective at stopping the car.

My brakes can pull major minus g's when stopping from 70mph plus without fading. I think there are some Pagid pads on there so that might be the difference. Brake fluid is tested annually and changed if there is the slightest degredation. I also rough up the disks every 6 months and clean off the brake dust and apply copper grease to keep then in tip top order.

Thing is, is it me or are drivers getting really careless out there. I have noticed an incresasing number of drivers have invisible indicators or think thier car is faster than it is when they pull out in front of you.
It really annoys me, i never used to suffer with road rage but they make me so angry:mad:

I think people are becomming Zombies - late nights, early mornings and poor diet! It all adds up to traffic chaos.