My Whip

My Whip ***UPDATE***

only had this two months so its not much to look at just yet, but ill post some updates as i slowly start to mod it

Front
frontdx3.png

Back
backco0.png

ICE
dvdmx7.png

Sub (Im going to sell it)
subel2.png

CHECK LAST POST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
sorry to say once a head gasket goes on a k series it will go again does not matter what you do to it i have done a couple in the last few weeks and have one sitting out side that needs doing

had a mg that only lasted a year
i always say scrap it once it goes or if you get it done always warn it will go again dont know when might be 2 months might be 5 years
had a lot do it and sell the car

but about 300 -400 is about right

Get a warrantee from the guy doing the work. If it is done right I would have thought it would be fine. You need to be really fussy, the skim has to be perfect and you can't afford a scratch or mark in the gasket.

Don't skimp on the head bolts either and get it re torqued after a few hundred miles. AND RUN IT IN GENTLY AT FIRST!

lol yea ill be takin quite easy for abit, when the guy comes to pick it up on friday ill ask about the warrantee, and ill deffinately get the bolts, should be fine when everythings done, cos this head gasket is supposed to fix the problem

Don't take this the wrong way !!

But why on earth would you do this to an old Rover?

I appreciate it's a hobby - but work out how much you have spent so far, what you plan to spend and with the cost of the car, you could have got something MUCH better - don't do things on a tight budget, as it will just look shabby as it has started to do without using masking tape when painting the boot.

Also, i would have thought personally that an old Rover with over 100k miles would be highly likely to go wrong at some point so make sure before you do anything else to it (if you must) that the mechanics are totally sound!!

As i said, i appreciate it's a hobby, but do things right before it totally wastes all your time and money!!

ok well tex that kinda annoyed me a bit, but dont take this the wrong way, first off i cant afford a nice car, my parents had to buy me the car in the first place, it was the only car they could also afford, i dont have rich parent to buy me the lastest corsa or clio blah blah blah, i appreciate that the car #!#!#!#!ed, but its the only thing i have at the moment and i never do stuff on a tight budget, i painted my boot cos it looked a mess, so what if i got paint on the plate, yea i could have saved up my money and got a slightly nicer but the insurance would #!#!#!#! me, i dont have any no claims so cant afford a newer car, even a newish corsa was too expensive, im only on a trainee wage at the moment so that doesnt help, i also have a social life, and a gf so i dont always spend money on my car but use it to go out and have fun, so cant afford a nicer car again, plus im only 19

i admit i could have saved up the money i used on mods for a newer car but when i got this car it was brilliant, i love driving it, just feels great, i drove some newer cars and i just dont get the same vibe as i do when im in my rover, maybe when the head gasket is fixed ill look round for a different car, and if it does go again ill scrap it,

anyway sorry about that :)

if i was looking for another car it would have to be quite oldish :s i wouldny mind a xsara vtr :eek: dont suggest small hatches like corsa i want something different that will stand out, bit like my rover, a different choice for styling any suggestions anyone?

ok well tex that kinda annoyed me a bit, but dont take this the wrong way, first off i cant afford a nice car, my parents had to buy me the car in the first place, it was the only car they could also afford, i dont have rich parent to buy me the lastest corsa or clio blah blah blah, i appreciate that the car #!#!#!#!ed, but its the only thing i have at the moment and i never do stuff on a tight budget, i painted my boot cos it looked a mess, so what if i got paint on the plate, yea i could have saved up my money and got a slightly nicer but the insurance would #!#!#!#! me, i dont have any no claims so cant afford a newer car, even a newish corsa was too expensive, im only on a trainee wage at the moment so that doesnt help, i also have a social life, and a gf so i dont always spend money on my car but use it to go out and have fun, so cant afford a nicer car again, plus im only 19

i admit i could have saved up the money i used on mods for a newer car but when i got this car it was brilliant, i love driving it, just feels great, i drove some newer cars and i just dont get the same vibe as i do when im in my rover, maybe when the head gasket is fixed ill look round for a different car, and if it does go again ill scrap it,

anyway sorry about that :)

if i was looking for another car it would have to be quite oldish :s i wouldny mind a xsara vtr :eek: dont suggest small hatches like corsa i want something different that will stand out, bit like my rover, a different choice for styling any suggestions anyone?

To be honest mate, i was only really trying to help as i have been in exactly the position as you, i wouldn't listen to people either ;)

I appreciate your circumstances, as i say, i did the very same with my first car, i bought a Mini 1000 for 250 quid, put a metro turbo engine in, new wheels, exhaust etc etc and it cost me a fortune, at the time, the Nova SR was the car to have as your first car, i could have bought a Nova GTE in the end with the amount i'd spent, it soon adds up!!

Get the mechanical side of things sorted as priority (so you can always rely on it) then add small subtle details, like your debadging, (although i will send you some masking tape ;)). As you say, once you get the car back ''if it goes again, you'll scrap it'' then you have paid out on mods for nothing that was my point pal....oh and if you enjoy driving a Rover, the best is yet to come - Xsara is a good choice, now stop spending your pennies on a Rover, work hard and get that VTR!

yea about the spraying :p ive learnt from that :D and yea if it goes again ill take off some of the mods like the underneath leds, lights and induction kit, then scrap it, get a bit of cash and look for a xsara :) but dont think ill be gettin the alloys or body kit unfortunately :(

this is what want, not the face lifts, they look girly

13696_a.jpg

Last edited:
That's it mate, bob on, much better, why don't you try and set yourself goals of what you want to achieve, then once you have achieved each goal, tick it off and smile at the fact that you have not spent lots of cash in one go and that your car looks spot on.

What about a 306 Turbo diesel ? cheap to run and maintain, can be had at good prices and can be made to look VERY smart, smooth, subtle and very clean, not huge bodykits and lights, too many people with Saxos / Clios / Polos <---- (insert small car names) have done it and they look pony, trust, subtle and smooth is the way to go :D

found a vtr for 690, but think im gonna part ex it, also found a body kit, headlights, and tail lights, alloys :D its a nice metallic blue too, gonna ring up the grage tomorrow :D and my insurance first :(

found a vtr for 690, but think im gonna part ex it, also found a body kit, headlights, and tail lights, alloys :D its a nice metallic blue too, gonna ring up the grage tomorrow :D and my insurance first :(

As i said before, ensure the car is mechanically sound before you spend anything on it, put your first bit of money you spend on the car into a nice service, new oils and filters would be a great idea and it's amazing how much extra performance you get from a car through servicing.

Don't do the bodykit (IMHO) nice set of alloys yes, remember, smooth and subtle, not loud and tacky ;)

but the body kit is really nice, and yea im gonna get it serviced, with a head skim, balance and all that, saw how much performance you can gain from that off top gear on sunday

here is the body kit

003435.jpg

003436.jpg

lol no wayne :D no rest for the wicked :D goin down to see it on thursday with the mother, then ill either get it there and then, or sat, get the gf to run me down :D lso all depends on the condition but it looks in good nick
so yea hopefully a "My Whip Take 2 " ;)

here you guys can take a look :)

http://www.southportmotorcompany.co.uk/138702/south_stock.htm

theres my baby at the bottom :D

just thinkn though will it be 16v? ive seen some even vtr that are only 8v or 12v ~_~ i must ask that, no point in a 12v vtr :s

dont look for 50bhp gain from a service, maybe a couple. like tex not a big fan of bodykits although the front looks not to bad.

can you skim the head or is it a crush style one ?

dunno ill have to have a look,

i rang the insurance today :D how i love them only an extra 12 quid! so it looks like IM GETTING A VTR!!!

hopefully on saturday my gf will take me up, ill stick a forsale sign on the olde rover and away i go :D

however the insurance said it wasnt 16v ~_~ but i dont really care tbh, will still be pretty quick,

anyone know the rough 0-60? cant find it on parkers anymore

...thats slower than my rover :s

thats not right it says my rover does 0-60 in 11.8 but it does it in 11! msn lies!

Last edited:
yeah msn shows mine as 8.2 and parkers 7.9 havent tried this out to see whos closest
insurance is also off
msn group 13
parkers group 16

Last edited:
might be but i dont know would depend on the pullys keeping the timing the same.
dont even know if youd see much of a difference to be honest mate. best idea would be to try and get the vts engine fromthe saxo its still a 1.6 but 125bhp

ok i was just double checkin :p anyway im pickin the car up on saturday :D took it for a spin and it seems very responsive to the throttle nice and grippy, as for the engine swap im gonna still get a 2.0T, but dunno if citreon do one, so i might get the new 2.0 VTS engine :eek: and then supercharge the mother!

Glad you like it. Don't forget to haggle with them most people selling cars are pretty desparate at the moment to sell.

There are quite a few tuning options open to you. My advice would be to enjoy it and get used to its strengths and weaknesses and then address these.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back