My Fullyloaded R334 Wide ass project

Well folks, I have been threatening to do it and promised myself I wouldn't start this thread until work began. Well work has begun so let's kick things off. I have always loved the looks of both the R33 and the R34 but particularly the front end of the R334. So why not combine the two and make a Wide arch kit at the same time. Now I am going for subtle instead of an aggressive wide arch. Also the body shop company I am using believes in doing things right, so the wider front wings and rear wings will be custom made out of metal, not fiberglass.

So here's what she looked like when I dropped her off to the body shop!

IMG_0165.jpg

Start of the rear end strip, remove rear bumper and lights. This is a 16 year old car but not in bad nick for it's age.

r33_skyline_rear_stripped.jpg

The front end stripped ready for the front wings to be converted from R33 GTST to R34 GTR. The old R33 wings will be used combined with the R34 to make the right shape and fitment for the body.

r334_wide_arch_conversion.jpg

As I am going for subtle, I chose 25mm spacers and this is what the stance should look like bare in mind the arches will be slightly wider than the wheels.

r33_skyline_wide_rear_alloys.jpg

Making up the template for the wide arch at the rear.

r33_gtst_wide_arch_start.jpg

Rear diffuser arrived and trial fitted to the car.

r33_skyline_wide_rear.jpg

Now a picture with the rear bumper trial fitted and the rear wing taking shape.

r33_skyline_wide_rear_bumper.jpg

A little update, some prototype wings being made.

r33_wide_arch_prototype.jpg

r334_wide_arch_rear_wing.jpg

Starting realize how expensive this conversion is becoming.

R34 wings £100 (lucky to get for that price)
R34 Bumper £350
R34 Bonnet £350
R34 bonnet hinges £110
R34 headlights £500 found some in hong kong, should be £900
Rear Bumper £150
Spacers £200
£130 fuel cap and funnel

Not to mention labour and paint
Rear of the wide arch panel trial fit

Here are the sills they are fabricating.

R334_skyline_sill_fabrication.jpg

Well just agreed to buy this off JDMGarage, thanks for negotiating on the price chaps, great service as usual. The R33 GTST front slam panel will be cut out and the R34 GTR Slam panel welded in.

photo1.jpg

Picture for today, rear wide arch and side skirts coming along nicely!

R334_wide_arch_rear.jpg

Hello and welcome mate. Quite an interesting project there. I've seen a few of these conversions done but tbh I prefer the complete look of the R34. What other mods have been done?

Also. Users are not allowed to post pictures until they reach 10 posts. I have allowed it this time as it does look like a good project. Get yourself around the forum and you'll reach 10 posts. I'm also going to move this to the project section so it can get more attention. Thanks.

Thanks for the comments guys, as far as mods go, a lot of them are coming off to do this project. Carbon bonnet sold, carbon boot goes this weekend, Wheels will be going, one off custom front bumper I will be selling.

The rear spoiler is staying for the moment, may go if it doesn't match the body. I have a Tomei ecu, Front mount intercooler, defi boost gauge, defi control unit, Boost control unit, wound up to 0.85 bar, Apexi air filter, Cusco camber arms, rear strut bar, Dry carbon rear light surrounds, Carbon gear surround, Dry carbon door cards, lowered

That's about it I think for the moment.

That's the plan mate, just need the mortgage to buy some! Finding them isn't easy as well.

Finding them is the easy part:

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk

Paying for them is a little more difficult :)

18" x 12" 3 piece billet £626 each

3 piece cast are a little cheaper at £512 each

Tyre size will be in the 315 - 345 range. Stretched tyres would look REALLY silly on a car like this and you will need all the grip the tyres can provide.

Toyo tyres only go up to a recommended 11.5" wide rim in 18"

Yokohama do a 315/30ZR/18 in their ADVAN Premium Sport range

BF Goodrich's Drag Radials work pretty well and they do them in your size, sir :)

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/g-force-t-a-drag-radial-tires

Last edited:
Seen them already and none of them I particularly like and well the price????

When you start playing with the big boys you have to have the stake in order to stay in the game :)

You are looking at big wheels and they come at a big price.

The main advantage (IMO) of split rims is you will be able to specify the EXACT offset you require, which will be important on your project. This would also allow you to go down a width size or two and still be able to fill the arches, reducing the cost of both wheels and tyres.

There are other makers of quality wheels, Superlite Wheels for example.

http://www.superlite-wheels.com/index.html

Their prices are around £386-424. Tried ringing them to find out if this included VAT (couldn't see any mention on the site) but their phone number isn't recognised!

Last edited:
When you start playing with the big boys you have to have the stake in order to stay in the game :)

You are looking at big wheels and they come at a big price.

The main advantage (IMO) of split rims is you will be able to specify the EXACT offset you require, which will be important on your project. This would also allow you to go down a width size or two and still be able to fill the arches, reducing the cost of both wheels and tyres.

There are other makers of quality wheels, Superlite Wheels for example.

http://www.superlite-wheels.com/index.html

Their prices are around £386-424. Tried ringing them to find out if this included VAT (couldn't see any mention on the site) but their phone number isn't recognised!

x2. Function over form. Surely this was thought about before you started doing the wide arches?

How about 'Work' as well? Not specifically looked, but I know they do some wide wheels. Compomotive can make to order as well iirc.

x2. Function over form. Surely this was thought about before you started doing the wide arches?

How about 'Work' as well? Not specifically looked, but I know they do some wide wheels. Compomotive can make to order as well iirc.

I have found the wheels now that I am going for, will be getting some Rota GTR-D 12 inch wide rear and 10 inch front.

Some serious pictures to be added here, sit tight. The more and more I see it, I am falling in love!

R34 GTR front bonnet and hinges fitted

r334_wide_arch_bonnet.jpg

Rear bumper

r334_rear_diffuser.jpg

Got to be the best indication of how wide she is going to be!

righ_rear_wide_arch.jpg

r33_wide_arch_side_skirts__fabrication.jpg

R34 headlights all the way from Hong Kong

r34_gtr_lights.jpg

Left hand rear started

r33_wide_arch_left_front.jpg

wide_arch_fabrication.jpg

r33_wide_arch_left.jpg

The wings are off the car now and the final shaping is taking place. Not an easy thing to do when the curves are in different directions and trying to match it up with the opposite side.

off_car_wing_fabrication.jpg

The boss mucking in!

off_car_rear_wing_fabrication.jpg

The back axle being dropped to remove the petrol tank as the petrol cap is being relocated.

IMG_0915.jpg

Petrol Tank out

IMG_0913.jpg

Rust removed from rear arches and new wings removed for priming and welding on permanently.

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

Priming the bare metal wings

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

Shows how big these wings are going to be.
IMG_0904.jpg

LS2 Powered nom nom nom:

5232387559_ea55542276_z.jpg

5232476615_24039ee16e_z.jpg

Looks absolutely insane Telford lad. For me R34>R32>R33. R33 is too heavy and the lines too soft BUT I still like them.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back