mpg of a 2.1 td xud engine in a xantia sized car?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
what mpg should a 2.1 turbo diesel xud give in an xantia estate, Any good or the same as a petrol, thanks

Thanks, but any idea of the average mpg for this engine in this car and also any idea if it is a bosch pump or lucas? Cheers-O

I'd leave this engine well alone to be honest - they are known for injection problems and overheating problems.

It's a 12 valve engine with a Lucas pump. I'd estimate about 35-40mpg.

Cheers-O Paul, I read that the pump was a huge mistake on the 2.1 on the diesel Bob site. I can't make my mind up if I should seek out the Bosch pumped 1.9 for the alternative fuel route (to be honest I don't think I have the patience to stand there and pour 70 litres of cooking oil into my car a week) Or spend more and get an HDI for the increased mpg and power, However from what I have read the maintenance on an hdi cuts the saving out of the extra mpg....decisions decisions, Quite set on an Xantia though.

You see I've never understood this thing that diesels are supposed to be more to maintain than petrols. In my bora I've only ever had to change the same things I would have had to in a petrol. Cambelts, filters, oils, they all cost the same?

well i read hdi injectors are between £600 and £300 a pop, the dmf's cost a small fortune to replace and often need replacing, (A vag bugbear I believe) blah blah but the old xud engine just keeps plodding along stress and care free. for me this is a money saving exercise. i don't want to suffer depreciation or maintenance. Just want to do my 500 miles a week for as little money as possible in some sort of comfort. Hopefully releasing enough money so I can blast a 944s2 in the summer, one pays for the other so to speak.

well i read hdi injectors are between £600 and £300 a pop, the dmf's cost a small fortune to replace and often need replacing, (A vag bugbear I believe) blah blah but the old xud engine just keeps plodding along stress and care free. for me this is a money saving exercise. i don't want to suffer depreciation or maintenance. Just want to do my 500 miles a week for as little money as possible in some sort of comfort. Hopefully releasing enough money so I can blast a 944s2 in the summer, one pays for the other so to speak.

I have often spoken of the economy that is meant to be diesel's forte. I still like the drive of the high performance ones and pound for pound you'll probably get better performance than petrol.

The HDi 110 engine won't batter the DMF as hard as a remapped 2.2 HDi will so should last well.

I never had innjector problems - decent fuel and the odd dose of Forte Diesel Treatment might have helped.

Aha the famous forte treatment, I can't reccomend that brand enough, a mechanic in a bottle, i have used different forte products over the year and can't fault them. thier power steering medecine is so good you only need a tiny drop and thats it, no more ever, at least thats what i found. Well looks like I am going to have to be patient until I find a hdi 110 xantia estate with a sun roof. Could be a long wait

If you bosch convert the 2.1 then it's a good solid motor.

A word of warning about 8v hdi's though there were teething problem with then as they are the first of a long line of HDi's

Well I took the plunge and purchased a high mileage Citeroen XM 2.1 diesel Auto, A car which was renowned as bad when it was new. Love the challenge. I'll give the motor and gearbox a good service asap. wish me luck

They're not bad engines, the injection is a bit complex and stands on its own, being the very late end of IDI systems before the almost universal adoption of common rail systems. CR systems are also complex but they've been around a while now and are proving to be pretty durable in many applications.

They can be tuned to about 140bhp (std is 110) with some ECU attention.

The 2.1 XUD-T fascinated me because the refinement was superb, and all the more impressive because of it's IDI origins.

Yep it's a D Turbo, New cam belt, water pump, service all fluids, oils and filters etc, 12 months MOT No corrosion whatsoever Very clean 1995 XM2 £565 on ebay, Now it has to earn it's keep as I am currently doing just under 500 miles commuting alone, it has a lot to live up to as my 1.8 petrol Mondeo is pretty ood on fuel. So now I have a Cheap Audi A4 Estate with every extra except leather for sale if you know anyone who likes Audis (2.4 v6)

Yep it's a D Turbo, New cam belt, water pump, service all fluids, oils and filters etc, 12 months MOT No corrosion whatsoever Very clean 1995 XM2 £565 on ebay, Now it has to earn it's keep as I am currently doing just under 500 miles commuting alone, it has a lot to live up to as my 1.8 petrol Mondeo is pretty ood on fuel. So now I have a Cheap Audi A4 Estate with every extra except leather for sale if you know anyone who likes Audis (2.4 v6)

I'm glad you got an XM - they always appealed to me for their being the last of Citroen's quirky but adorable cars. The C6 was getting there, I'd have one if I was still on a company lease choose and lose type of plan.

Thank's Paul, I think they are a desirable Classic in the making, Mine looks like this

Attachments

• 4518-vnds-citroen-xm-v6-ambiance-options-ja-clim-radio-6.jpg
    4518-vnds-citroen-xm-v6-ambiance-options-ja-clim-radio-6.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 5
They're not bad engines, the injection is a bit complex and stands on its own, being the very late end of IDI systems before the almost universal adoption of common rail systems. CR systems are also complex but they've been around a while now and are proving to be pretty durable in many applications.

They can be tuned to about 140bhp (std is 110) with some ECU attention.

The 2.1 XUD-T fascinated me because the refinement was superb, and all the more impressive because of it's IDI origins.

ECU just advances the pumps timing according to all the usually preameters (rpms, load etc..) it doesn't control fueling or turbo pressure like a modern ECU controlled car.

IDI diesel do have there advantages of DI engines, They like to rev more due the turbulance of the fuel delievery from the pre chamber to the cylinder and they are inheritantly quieter than DI engines and smoother. (of the same time IDI aren't used any more but if the same technology was applied to IDI's as a modern DI diesel then diesels would be quiter and smoother still...). They also have a much more simple piston design than a DI engine (DI engine essencially have the "pre camber" in the piston crown) They are also more desireable to run with an alternative duel like Biodiesel, WVO and SVO. Cons are, they have higher emissions for the same power output, they use more fuel, and due to the higher compression ratios they have to run over a DI they have to be built stronger in order to cope with the cylinder pressures. And of corse the reason they were fased out was emissions, not noise or refinement because like I said an IDI would be more refinened if they were made today but due to governments/customers demanding lower fuel consumtion and lower emissions.