Motorway speed limits

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think the current speed limits set many years ago are unrealistic on modern roads?

With the increased volume of cars should they be lowered?

Do modern cars handle, brake and steer better justifying a higher limit?

What about having higher limits on special sections of long junctionless motorways or doing what France do and have a dry/wet speed limit?

Perhaps Germany have it right with their Autobahn's!

70 mph on the motorway does seem rather slow for the machinery around these days. I would like to see a trial where the national speed limit is increased every 3 years by 10 mph. This would give people time to adapt to the new limit and also give the authorities time to monitor the outcome before deciding to raise it again.

i like the idea of the auto barn the biggest thjing would be put in a minum for ars due to idiots doing 30 on the m25 there more likely to cause a crash then somone cruising at 80

Cars have also got heavier due to the addition of SRS systems and crash protection and this has made them bigger than they were before. So increasing the speed limits would also make an impact that much harder. I don't think there is enough room on the roads to place a blanket increase, most of the time it is below the speed limit due to volume.

80-85 is not going to attract police attention in normal circumstances so is there any need to make a change ?

To be fair, on a well flowing motorway... if you sit at 70mph, pretty much everything other than lorry's overtake you anyway in my experience!

Cars are also much safer so accidents are lower and injuries are fewer. This is a good thing and I don't think most of the numpties that drive around could handle faster speeds.

Why not let specially trained drivers use certain lanes or roads and go at higher speeds? This could work, a sort of toll road with driver ability testing thrown in.

So we'd have to pay more than we already do just to do a special test?
I don't see that working.
Even advanced driver trained people still have accidents.
The speed limit on motorways isn't the problem. People that don't know how, or are scared to use it are.
They need to lift the restriction for learner drivers to be able to go on motorways whilst on a lesson. (at the instructors discretion if he/she deems the learner safe to do so)
There are lots of ways to improve traffic flow. At this minute in time I think driver education is at the top of the list rather than raising speed limits.

^^ Yes I suppose that would work too Andy, but I still wouldn't say no to a few advanced high speed driving lessons even if I did have to pay for it ;)

The problem with advanced driving certificates is that those who have attained them might become arrogant.

In my opinion it attitude that plays the biggest single role in a drivers attitude to safety.

TCJB will of course mention track training, I hope that he does - it has its place and many skills can be transferred to the road. The problem is deciding which skills are transferred to the road and which are left on the track.

Fact is that the drivers most in need of additional training are the same ones who are least likely to seek it

German driving standards are supposedly a lot higher than over here. for example, to pass there exams costs a lot more and the instruction is a lot more strict, so harder to pass. Over here, the test is too easy.