Man suffocates using recirculate button

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Ok so it was a made up attention grabbing headline but do you think it is possible to suffocate in a car when the air con is set to recirculate?

nope as the car isnt air tight fresh air would be coming in all the time. think about it if your car wasnt running then you would suffocate by sitting in it after a long period otherwise

It interesting that manuals imply there could be an issue here. Are they just covering their backs?

"Never switch off the fan for a long period of time and never use air recirculation a long period of time because no fresh air will come into the passenger compartment." - (VW Tiguan manual)

Incidentally there will be enough air in a car to last for 4-10 hours, assuming no new air gets in.

At the back of most cars hidden behind bumpers & such are vents to let air out of the car, I assume their job is to prevent the cabin from pressurising as you drove along the road.
I've forgotten about to turn the ricirc off in the past & only realised when the windows starts to fog up! :lol:

So no one on here has died due to suffocation from pressing the Recirculate button then? If anyone has can they please post up and warn us....

sign0020.gif

:lol::lol:

So no one on here has died due to suffocation from pressing the Recirculate button then? If anyone has can they please post up and warn us....

I am sending you this warning gentlemen via a seance being held in my honour at Madame Mysterio's house on Clapham Common! Let this be a lesson to one and all, that to recirculate is not big and its not clever! :sad2:

PS.
I leave all my worldly goods and bank account numbers to TN, Loz, and Waynne in the hope that it will be spent on wine, loose women, reckless gambling and very very fast cars :amuse:

Not recently :)

It's funny to note though how many people have no idea how to operate the car's ventilation system. I see em sat there with the windows dripping condensation inside. How worrying, especially so given they cannot see where they're going.

My car has auto recirc which has a 'sniffer' to detect smoke particles etc. and it switches on/off all on it's own.

The chance of suffocating is nil with but I do think that the gradual oxygen depletion in a car might well lead to poor attention, irritability etc. all of which WILL increase the risk of being involved in a RTC.

Just my fifty quid's worth lol :)