Lorries overtaking

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How many of us get held up behind 2 lorries on a hill on a dual carriageway because one decides to try and overtake the other?

I think HGV's should be banned from overtaking unless the vehicle they are overtaking is doing less than 40mph on dual carriageways and especailly on hills.

The roads out of dover and Folkestone are the worst for this with all the continental lorry drivers that come off the ferries/tunnel!

I can't comment on the foreign lorries but all our domestic ones are restricted to 56mph,
If one is trundling down the road at 56 but slows on a hill to 54, the one behind still doing 56 has to do something and instead of wasting fuel and momentum he'll go around I honestly don't see a problem with it we all have as much right to be on the road as each other (except cyclists :lol:) and should behave as such,

i disagree, they dont pay for the bloody fuel anyway, and when they hit the hill they gonna slow down too!

i think they should be deffinately banned unless they can do it quickly which is pretty much impossible so how about the stick to 60mph in the inside lane?

i disagree, they dont pay for the bloody fuel anyway, and when they hit the hill they gonna slow down too!

i think they should be deffinately banned unless they can do it quickly which is pretty much impossible so how about the stick to 60mph in the inside lane?

The haulage company pays for the fuel at a discounted rate to the rest of us but still at extortionate prices, the drivers are monitered via the new digital tacho system and they have a certain amount of fuel to make their delilveries/pick ups and get back, that's it.

If one is carrying 24 tonne as is the limit and one carrying 18, which is going to lose the most speed and momentum going up hill? they are both restricted to the same speed, so banishing them to the inside lane at all times will only serve to make the delivery of goods late.

Agreed. Ill put it in my ''to do list when I'm PM'' book.

ALL HGV'S ARE BANNED FROM OVERTAKING ON DUEL ROADS, INLESS THE CAR IS FRONT IS DRIVEN BUY SOMONE OVER THE AGE OF 70, OR IS DRIVEN BUY SOME HIPPY TRYING TO SAVE THE EARTH FROM POLLUTION.

Leave 'em alone to use the roads. Rogue lorry drivers are very few and very far between.

The road system isn't put there exclusively for the delectation of car drivers.

In fact the motorways at least in part were created for lorries, they replaced railways which were becoming less accessible and more and more expensive, with the arrival of trucks that could carry huge weights long distance, haulage costs literally halved when the new roads were opened

On a 4 lane motorway lorries really should be restricted to the inside 2. That way if they do feel the need to do a 10 mile 30 minute overtake there's still some lanes left for the rest of is.

the roads are pretty much the same round here with the irish landing at stranraer.

to be fair it doesnt bother me that much, i know how much pressure these guys are under to get to destinations on time.

what about the car driver that sits at 45 mph in front of the wagon on a single lane holding them back
or car drivers that try and pass the wagons and end up cutting them up ?

as for them not paying for the fuel what are you on about ? the foreign drivers dont but thats because they fill up on the continent and have extra large tanks. i know the british drivers that do continental runs actually fill up before coming back to save they company some money

I'm one of the guys you get stuck behind going up a hill. Blame the European Union for our restricted speeds not us. I've had a few unrestricted trucks in the past and unless you have some supercharged motor and know how to drive it you wouldn't be able to keep up with me off the line if I wasn't pulling a trailer. I can out accelerate a porsche with a couple of tweeks on the ecu.
Also while were on the subject of coating off truckers.. Everything you use or need in your life has been delivered by a truck to the shop. You'd soon start moaning if your bottle of milk or newspaper or bacon sandwich arrived late in the morning because you decided to make all trucks stick to the slow lane !!
P.S check out truck racing on Sky or Eurosport if you want to see what we can do unhindered by limiters..

A light tractor unit (ie no trailer attached) with about 2500lbft is quite something to experience in a straight line.

You can skip gears with gay abandon and make extremely rapid progress. The splitter which is great for shifting heavy loads uphill become a formidable performance tool.

I love it here when you have three (or four!) pacing one another, side by side. Worst is when they decide to do 5 under the speed limit.

If I don't whip up an anti BMW feeling then us Audi drivers become the logical next choice. :D

Audi in some ways does seem to be the new BMW. Unfortunately the jokes always work better against BMW drivers as we're better known for driving like complete t***ers. :)

Perhaps I'll just scrap my courteous approach and drive in the BMW 'way'.