Limited edition models

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on limited edition models. Does it give more choice and are they welcome or is it cynically just a way to shift more units or end of line models.

Some makers like Mini offer a wide range of user customisations wheras others like Ford add a decent radio, alloys paint it black and call it something like the "midnight echo".

Performance car makers tend to offer engine upgrades and minor trim revisions. I'm thinking of the FQ350 and FQ400 but even Ferrari and Lamborghini have offered power upgrades on limited edition models.

More choice or just a marketing ploy?

its all about trying to get rid of there last stock, by doing something different, all tho some limited edition cars are niccce such as the lambogini stealth, what a car...

Depends if they make it worthwhile.

Mine got special alloy wheels, one-off paintjob (Anthracite Grey not being available for standard vRS models) and leather seats. The extra was less than the cost of buying a vRS and adding the leather seats, so it was worthwhile from that perspective.

Also, you can probably reckon on a higher resale value due to the scarcity of that model type.

The limited run edition is the best bet as they will become more sought after, but the changes would have to be worthwhile.

A few spring to mind such as:

• Vauxhall Nova Sport 500 off I think, twin 40's etc.
  • Vauxhall Chevette HSX only 10 of those offered, I had one! There was a total of 400 made for group B homologation of which 50 were HSR's the bulk being HS's.
  • My MGF SE is one of 500, unique colour to MG, not used on any other and a few nice extras.
  • Mini anniversay models are unique.
The ones I have seen lately are more to do with marketing campaigns to shift cars and throw in a few items and badge it accordingly. Some don't even come up on an insurance search as such, so are not recognised.

agree with stamford, seems in the "older" days the limited edition versions were worthwhile (even my brother had a limited edition 1.2l saloon nova, better seats, stereo, and improved performance - but a saloon nova's still a saloon nova!), anyways, as per the first couple of posts it is definately now a marketing ploy to make you part with more money. For the extra costs that are charged for the limited edition models most parts can be sourced much cheaper on their own.

As said depends on the upgrades. Any extras bought on top of a car lose there value straight away but factory fitted SE models sold with the same extras at no extra cost can hold there value better. Depends on the desireability of the model I suppose and if theres a performance upgrade not normally associated with the model.

Thinking back, I didn't add that my car looks to have dropped £1000 in 6 months. Seems pretty good when you consider you can usually (pre-scrappage scheme anyway) write off 25% of the value of the car just by driving it off the forecourt.