Lightweight Rims

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
Saving just 1kg on the weight of your rims is the equivalent of losing 10kg of weight on the rest of the car. This is because instead you are losing rotational weight. This means that you can put more power down in a lighter car. If you're worried about the styling aspect, you can get some really nice looking lightweight rims.

What does everyone think to this? Is it worth ditching a really nice set of rims to lose weight?

You are also ditching unsprung weight, which helps with handling.

You don't have to sacrifice style for weight, but you will probably have to sacrifice funds as lightweight wheels are more expensive than 'normal' alloys.

For example, 3-piece billet wheels produced by 'Image Wheels' cost around £3-400 pounds EACH plus tyres. However, you will be able to specify exactly what you want in the way of diameter, width, offset and inset, finish, etc.

Another case of you get what you pay for.

I'd imagine wheel size must have a large factor too, would a large diameter wheel with an elastic band tyre weigh more or less than the equivalent smaller diameter wheel & slightly higher profile tyre of equal rolling diameter? :confused:

surely heavier rims would create better traction as the wieght will be pressin down on the tarmac? but the lighter rims would be faster, but lets not make the car too light lol dont want to be goin over a hump back bridge and takin off :lol:

That's where aerodynamic down force comes in, to keep the car on the road just look at the Radical SR8 at 650kg it's a feather weight (I want one now! :amuse:)
A light wheel requires less effort to rotate, a good example is bicycles. With a road bike (racer) riders will go to extraordinary lengths to get the lightest (& aerodynamic) wheels possible, they can easily cost over £2000 for a pair of wheels! This is because the lighter the wheel (the rotating mass) the less energy is wasted trying to pedal & accelerate.
Just think. A drag race with two identical cars. one car had a standard set of alloy wheels & the other had a set of the same wheels made in iron which would win? It's silly I know but you get the idea. :D

Last edited:
Also, the heavier the wheel the less responsive it is to undulations in the road surface so spends less time in contact than a lighter wheel would.