The Positives of Lightweight Wheels

Bazza249

Approved Trader
Car
Fiesta ST
Afternoon all

I know that a majority of you guys know your stuff about motors but for those who dont i have drafted up a blog to explain the positives of fitting Lightweight wheels

You can find it on the Rota Wheels Blog

Let me know what you think

Bazz

This is your article? I think with regards to information it's a bit lacking perhaps. It doesn't really go very far to explain the basic relationship between performance and unsprung weight, the physics involved etc. Just trying to be constructive.

Not a fan of most Rota's myself. Well I say not a fan....they are dog.

Reducing unsprung mass is the Nirvana of any engineer. Whether you're looking for performance, handling or comfort reduced unsprung mass is ALWAYS good.

I'd love lighter wheels for the R36, but I'm told getting the OEM TPMS sensors to fit into after-market wheels is a minefield and its a system I don't want to loose.

Good reason to stick with the OEM wheels in my opinion.

I probably will, it just irritates me knowing they're heavy. The W8 also has 18" wheels but they're after-market BBS CV's. They're much lighter than the R36's OEM wheels despite being the same size.

its common sense as to why lightweight wheels are better than heavy shinny 1s

but when you lighten alliminium, you weaken it, and alloys have a weak spot as it is

carbon wheels will be big waynne, both trend and price
carbon is strong, but for a wheel to put up with potholes its going to need an additive like titanium, which aint going to be cheap

bring back the steelees i say

thats why you dont use aluminium for light weight wheels, magnesium is both lighter and stronger. however its more expensive and cant be fixed

Carbon fibre wheels are an impressive product, they can withstand road shocks that would shatter a conventional wheel, they flex to a limited degree and in a controlled way and are substantially lighter.