Legal Question, Child in convertible

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Where does the law stand with putting a rear facing child seat in a convertible? Or a fron facing seat, I can find no info on the net. Thank you

dont think theres any laws as such concerning 2-4 seated cars.
aslong as you switch the passenger side air bag off if you have a child in the front seat, in a rear facing car seat. this may seem common sense but i have seen a few people forget to switch it off or cant switch it off and do it any way. thats a big no-no.

I only wondered because there are 'recommendations' now which suggest a child under a certain age or height should not be in the front. But what if here are no rear seats?

The height/weight and booster seat laws are a load of rubbish as well. The child's weight and height have nothing whatsoever to do with locking the inertia reel belt.

I cannot see how a cheap chunk of injection moulded plastic can improve upon anti-submarine seats, twin side impact bars, front, side and head airbags, seat belts with force limiting pre-tensioners etc etc. If anything the pre-tensioner is likely to yank the booster cushion from under the child and propel him/her forwards toward the windscreen.

The only consideration should be that the top of the belt fits across the shoulder, not across the neck, of the child. This depends entirely upon the adjustability of seat and seatbelt positions.

you probaly know more on this than me paul.
all i know is you cant have rear facing car seats in the front with air bags on. and i agree with you on the booster seat thing. another piece of useless legislation that is just crap tbh.

A child can sit in the front as long as they have a suitable seat and there is no airbag. That is the big issue with children and the front seat. The airbag because alot of cars are unable to de-activate it.;)

The 406 allowed you to disable the passenger front airbag - keyswitch by handbrake.

Side ones remained on.

I know about disabling the /bag for rear facing seats - cannot see it as a problem with forward facing seats.

@TN69 - you've mentioned exactly what I was thinking. Suitable seat. What defines a seat as being suitable?

The laws guideline is a pretty good rule to go by IMO.
It's still dangerous with a forwards facing seat as they would travel further because of the weight.
TBH most child seats are useless in extreme situations.

just keep them in the boot dont have to worry then lol

Now, there's an idea! Keeps the noise down as well. I'll have to try this one. Could take it to the letter of your post and keep 'em in there even when I'm indoors. Brilliant ;) ;)

@TN69 - that's the problem - there's all these specific laws but as you've just implied, they're only really guidelines when read in detail.

Last edited:
got to get you money back from the last 16 years some how :lol::lol:
and plus the years ahead

but then if he pimps them out wont be long before he is in the nick and we pay everything for him :lol::lol::lol::lol: