Canards, are they road legal

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Because they are sharp, knife like, add-ons, are they legal to fit to a UK car driven on the highway? Would they be picked up at the MOT station?

They are not all sharp, some have rounded off edges or rolled edges. I would have thought a lot would be up to the MOT testers discretion.

Sent Lutonmatt a PM with a link to this thread and see what he says.

True, I seem to recall that the MOT regulations speak of Sharp edges that could cause cuts and I interpreted this as sharp rusty edges. As said though you really need an MOT guy to comment on this.

I just rang my MOT guy and he said it is down to the tester, for him though, if it had sharp edges that can cut at low speeds it would be a problem but mostly if they have soft edges (4-5mm round off) it is fine unless it prodrudes massively beyond the car and certainly no wider than the mirrors. Most canards he's seen have an upfolded lip on the outside like this...

images

Also if it is very low down it's not as much of an issue than if it were at knee height.

for the mot
put them on can cover them in knife blades if you wish

can only fail if its damaged causing a sharp edge
or rust that is causing a sharp edge

from the mot book

A sharp edge or projection, caused by corrosion or damage, which renders the vehicle dangerous to other road users, including pedestrians

so put them on