Is it legal?

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
I am thinking of a new project. I am fancying a cut up 4x4 for some fun. I am thinking of buying a Toyota Landcruser (J reg model) 4L deisel. Ripping everything off it (roof, doors, back, seats) then fitting a roll bar and bucket seats with harness. Is this leagal in this country? And how hard would it be to pass an MOT. As the inside checks could let it down! lol :bigsmile:

Re: Is it leagal?

Cheers Ger.

If I can get one for around the £1500 mark (in good nick) then I think I might do it. A roll bar and some second hand bucket seets cant set me back more than a grand and a half. So for around £3000 I could have a proper boys toy. :bigsmile:

If you do a lot to a car then you will probably need to get an SVA approval done on it like a kit car.

Get yourself a copy of the MOT guidelines though to check your intended mods out first. Wheels all need to be covered and there must be no sharp edges left anywhere on the car.

Structurally you'd lose a lot of strength cutting the roof so you'd need a proper roll cage fitting, not just one of these show roll cages the lads stick in their cars.

got to be mad you want to cut a roof off a car and you live in scotland :lol::lol::lol::lol:

but other then that you can do it as it runs on a full chassis
if you mess about with the chassis and bob tail it you might need a sva test i belong to the kent off road club and some on there have bob tailed the discoverys and made them shorter by about a foot or so and some have had to a sva but others were told it was not needed

the insides take what ever you want off as long as you have a seat belt for the seat and its all bolted down good ect its ok

onlything i would say doing it with jap motor lot of ecu stuff in them
thats why its always landrovers that get choped plus they are cheaper

if you get rid of the windscreen you dont need wipers or washers or controls
get rid of the lights you can only drive it in the day light but need stops and indercaters

Thanks for that Matt.

I know it sounds a little mad, but I have just seen a few of them and thought it would be a nice easy project. Plus they do look pretty cool.

Waynne, If I did buy one, It would be a proper roll cage I'd put in it. There is a reason I want harnes seatbelts!!! lol. Me and sand dunes is not the best combination, so I would want to be protected well with a good roll cage. :)

land cruiser.jpg

lad cruiser ii.jpg

which one will you be going for Joe?

The boxier one of the two would suit your needs better i think and on the bigger rounder one will like Lutonmatt says have ECU and wiring loom issues if you're planning on cutting the roof off and you'll definately need to bob tail it as it's got ana enormous overhang at the back

a full roll cage stitched into the chassis would be first on my list of things to do if i were in your shoes :lol:

Last edited:
For what I want to do, Im after the smaller (est) modle with the biggest engine. Make a mean little off roader. Jeep wranglers are looking quite appealing just now. If I can get one cheep in the winter, then start modding it in the spring. Ready for summer.

I am not after anything economic (as you all know eco is not a word I understand) a nice big 4L TD would be nice.

I dont want anything to electrical either. I already have a car with more electrics then Npower. I just want a pure mechanical beast with real leavers to enable the 4WD and not any button press crap.

Cheers BFF for the pics.

I am thinking of a new project. I am fancying a cut up 4x4 for some fun. I am thinking of buying a Toyota Landcruser (J reg model) 4L deisel. Ripping everything off it (roof, doors, back, seats) then fitting a roll bar and bucket seats with harness. Is this leagal in this country? And how hard would it be to pass an MOT. As the inside checks could let it down! lol :bigsmile:

Not sure about legality but it's unlikely to fail the MoT because there'll be nothing left to test :blink: :lol: :blink: :lol: :lol:

wheels - check
engine - check
seat and harness - check

heres your mot cert sir
:) :) :) :)

Not sure about legality but it's unlikely to fail the MoT because there'll be nothing left to test :blink: :lol: :blink: :lol: :lol:

:D:bigsmile:

Thats the plan HDI. I have heard doors are for shandy drinking quiesh eaters. :bigsmile: I just want something for a bit of fun and if I roll it, smash into anything, hit any hippies ect it will still work!

Ill be looking to buy when the snow goes, and start doing it up soon after!

I happen to like quiche but I have to make 'em myself. The supermarket ones are exactly as you describe. Food is something I'm quite passionate about to be honest.

I also quite like doors on my cars, but I'd still like to see a Grand Cherokee pared down to sub 1000kg.

Once you get under way you must post up a WIP project thread.

What was the actress in the 70's Dukes of Hazzard? Catherine Bach. Wonder how she's lookin' nowadays?

Old probably mate. :bigsmile:

I'm into my food aswell. Lookin forward to cooking christmas dinner again. Got all our veg yesterday. I spend £250 on food yesterday and forgot the damn turkey!!! lol.

I am a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen. The only think I cant master, and I don't know why is soup. Im rubbish at it.

I managed to get my mits on a Bronze freeranger for £20 in November!!!! Result - that's just come out of the freezer, not that it's much warmer out than in.

We're just doing the booze top up run now - food wise I dealt with most of it over 2-3 trips to make it seem like the overall cost was at least slightly lower :-(

I've got an Ox tongue cooking at the moment - that's gonna get pressed later today.

Day after boxing day we're gonna have egg 'n' chips - need a break from the rich stuff. And day after that it'll be home made burgers with Dijon mustard and Swiss cheese. That sets us up all nicely for the Hogmanay blitz. Whereupon the booze run will be repeated. With added Alka Seltzer.

Like your style. Im just doing the usual christmas dinner with all the trimmings. Boxing day is more of a buffet. Bit of tradition. Im getting some wild fowl for New year, might lightly grill some duck breast aswell. We should have Come Dine With Me TorqueCars epesode!! :amuse:

We had a but of a glut of venison and pheasants in October and have eaten ourselves bored of the stuff for a while. So this time it's going to be beef for New Year's hangover nursing day.

Like your household Boxing Day (which is technically Monday - strictly speaking it cannot fall on a Sunday) is a buffet. Cold turkey, pressed tongue with baked spuddies and red cabbage.

There's also a side of gravadlax in the fridge which my neighbour prepared - basically salmon cold cured with pepper, sugar and dill. I've done these myself previously but I like sharing out the workload.

Have you tried using dried grated parmesan to dress up roasting potatoes?