jag remap

kersh99

Car
jaguar x type 2.2d
hi guys
a bit of a newbie here. i was just wondering if theres anyone that can inform me if its worth having a remap done i have a jag 2.2d.
the car is an 06 plate with low miles, also what sort of a spec increase
could i expect..cheers peeps

The engine is the same as Fords 2.2 TDCi unit, which, in turn, is derived from PSA's (Peugeot-Citroen's) DW12TED4 engine.

A remap will set it off very nicely indeed. I had a 406 Hdi with the DW12 etc etc. 2.2 engine and that remapped beautifully with stacks of torque and power. Economy also improved slightly. Yours will be even better.

I think you'll get close to 200bhp (standard is, I believe, slightly over 150) and well over 300lbft torque. You won't need a stopwatch to notice the difference.

You'll probably find as well that the engine becomes even smoother in operation (and they're extremely good in factory tune, being hard to discern as 4 cylinder diesels anyway). A good tuner will smooth out all the wrinkles in the power/torque delivery long before making any attempt to increase the overall power delivery.

I recommend Celtic Tuning - check their site at http://www.celtictuning.co.uk

Please do avoid the awful plug in boxes that are available on the web. Even the most expensive (far pricier than a remap) are nothing short of a compromise. Your car has a Euro IV emissions control system and a tuning box will cause it to work incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers for the info lads,the only thing thats bothering me is. does it stress out the engine any?? or reduce the life of the engine??

cheers for the info lads,the only thing thats bothering me is. does it stress out the engine any?? or reduce the life of the engine??

Not in my opinion as long as you let yourself be guided by the tuners. They will have a good idea how much is too much and will work well within those parameters. Engine stress, wear and life is far more dictated by driving style than level of tune.

What I would suggets though is that you stick to the normal services intervals, don't stretch them too far.

Ensure that service agents use high quality oils (your car will have to have a fully synthetic low ash formulation anway because of the particle filter - my 2.2 engine was the same, albeit a slightly earlier derivative)

Be gentle during warm up (applies to ANY car, regardless of tune).

Be careful to let the engine idle for a minute or two before you switch off (this, too, applies to ANY turbocharged car). It can make the difference between turbo failure at 80,000 miles or running the same turbo for 200,000 miles.

Use decent fuel - no Tesco or Asda diesel etc. Supermarket fuels do not contain the same additive pack that branded fuels contain and lubricity is decreased (same for any car, really).

There's a pattern emerging here, isn't there?

Basically, all the tuners are doing is taking up the slack that manufacturers build in to allow for poor maintenance by owners and operators.

My car was tuned in April 2006 (with just under 50,000 miles on the clock) and it packed up completely on June 24th 2009 with 132,000 miles on the clock.

Not, you understand, as a result of engine problems but due to the actions of a very stupid person who emerged from a T-junction without looking and drove straight across my path whilst I was approaching on the major road (at de-restricted major road speed, circa 55-60mph!!). The driver of the offending car was new to automatic transmission and hadn't realised that they continue to move foward if brake pressure is relinquished.

Clearly the engine was useless after the ensuing - and extremely serious impact - as was the rest of the car.

But up until that point I had experienced no mechanical issues at all. Had the collision not occurred I had planned to keep the car for another 3-4 years; I did not anticipate any reliability problems based upon my experince with it up until that point.

So, in short, go ahead and enjoy is my advice. (But watch out for drivers of black, 5 series BMWs ;) )

cheers mate
youve been a world of knowledge,i'll post the results once i get it done.
so you recomend celtictuning?, i'll ring them and see where my nearest
franchise is once i get back from offshore. thanks again

Celtic is owned and operated by brothers Tony and Graham. They are based in Newquay, North Cornwall but offer a nationwide service through a small network of, err, franchises, is perhaps the wrong word, dealers is perhaps a slightly better one, if only just so.

Their principle is to modify the existing map on your car, rather than reflash everything with a 'vanilla' one-size-fits-all models of a particular type. They make significant usage of wireless telecoms technology to do this. Doing it this way means that they can tune very specifically for one car.

No two engines or drivers are the same. Additionally, you don't want your ECU being flashed with the Engine and Chassis number of a car other than your own. This can play hell with security systems, immobilisers, transponder keys etc. It also alerts dealers to the fact you've tuned your car.

In short, yes, I can heartily recommend Celtic Tuning - they run a very fair and honest business in my opinion and experience.

Additionally I will add (that's a stupid phrase I've used!) that I am in no way affiliated with Celtic Tuning, my opinions are my own exclusively.

Rgds,

Paul Anderson.

Last edited: