Is overtaking antisocial

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
From some of our other discussions I get the distinct feeling that overtaking a car winds other road users up - especially the car being overtaken?

Is this the case, does the masses percieve overtaking as being anti social? Is there anything wrong in overtaking when it is safe to do so? Why does being overtaken wind some drivers up?

Last edited:
It is no more anti-social than the one holding traffic up!

I overtook a car this morning on a straight stretch of road, it was a 60mph limit and it was doing 40mph, so I checked the road ahead nothing coming up behind some indicated and went past. However you always get the feeling the one being overtaken has a moan about the idiotic driver. Why waste an open road and allow some old grouch to hold up your joyess journey to work!

i think when following the leader, or plodding along behind a driver thats slow and stupid, you go into a daze, overtaking is not bad if done safley

however, if someone overtakes me dangerously just so hes still only a car ahead of me at the lights, i snap

That's probably the key, if you cut in and are driving like an arse you are more likely to wind others up.

thats it, when i overtake we say the likes of truckers and tracktors, i put on my hazzerds to thank them, 99% of the time they flash back to say your welcome

overtaking like a muppett is going to get you abuse, course it is

No it's not antisocial, but it does depend on how (& where) you do it. Driving up someone's chuff & then revving the nuts of your car as you pass them & then continue up the wrong side of the road at 95mph will make you look like a knob. If you sit back get a good view of the road indicate & do it in a controlled (but still quick) manner, is less likely to attract the wrong attention. Try going to France, overtaking is practically a national pastime there! :lol:

Last edited:
All depends. I'm cruising along the A616 at 50mph and someone comes past I'll mutter a bit, but the limit is 60mph so no real harm.

Someone passes me when I'm at the limit though, and I do get angry.

All depends. I'm cruising along the A616 at 50mph and someone comes past I'll mutter a bit, but the limit is 60mph so no real harm.

Someone passes me when I'm at the limit though, and I do get angry.

No it's not antisocial, but it does depend on how (& where) you do it. Driving up someone's chuff & then revving the nuts of your car as you pass them & then continue up the wrong side of the road at 95mph will make you look like a knob. If you sit back get a good view of the road indicate & do it in a controlled (but still quick) manner, is less likely to attract the wrong attention. Try going to France, overtaking is practically a national pastime there! :lol:
italy is worse:D

A swift and purposeful overtaking manoeuvre should be applauded. If other drivers elect to drive far below the speed limit and far slower than the conditions allow then they should expect to be overtaken and should not take offence at having been overtaken.

So many see overtaking and 'cutting-up' as one and the same. THEY ARE NOT!!!!

If you pass another car without causing it's driver, or the driver of any other vehicle to adjust speed or direction to accomodate your overtaking move then you are NOT driving anti-socially.

You are in fact making good use of the available road and vision, maintaining the flow of traffic in general. No-one wants to be 38th in the queue behind a slow moving vehicle with the other 36 unwilling or incapable of passing. if they choose to not pass then they should leave great big gaps so that those of us who wnat to make safe and swift progress can do so.

At the moment I'm having to sit back and wait, the little 1.9D Seat is nowhere near accelerative enough to make brisk progress. So I leave space for others to do so. Sadly, so few actually do make progress. They sit on the back bumper for miles on end, unaware of the possibilities and opportunities to pass.

I'm suprised at the number of clueless drivers that don't seem to notice the enviroment the're driving in, like doing 40mph in a 60 zone and continuing to do 40 when they reach a 30 zone! and drivers that slow down when they reach a speed camera, even though its pointing to the other side of the road!

Open your eyes you idiots!

I'm suprised at the number of clueless drivers that don't seem to notice the enviroment the're driving in, like doing 40mph in a 60 zone and continuing to do 40 when they reach a 30 zone! and drivers that slow down when they reach a speed camera, even though its pointing to the other side of the road!

Open your eyes you idiots!

thats a reconised issue its called old gits syndrome ( not in anyway related to our own old git)

I overtake a fair amount. My cars mid-range urge makes it easy and safe in relatively short spaces. I always get the impression that I appear anti-social, not aided of course by the exhaust note as I go past.

That said, I don't cause anybody to change speed or direction and don't take 'risks' but overtake when there is enough room to do so.

I overtake a fair amount. My cars mid-range urge makes it easy and safe in relatively short spaces. I always get the impression that I appear anti-social, not aided of course by the exhaust note as I go past.

That said, I don't cause anybody to change speed or direction and don't take 'risks' but overtake when there is enough room to do so.

Same applied to me - quick and effortless overtaking, long before the crash happened.

Sadly my car's been smahed to bits thanks to an 'I don't need to look at a T junction driver because I've got a stuck-up little #!#!#!#!wit of a baby on board sticker'.

Thankfully mum and both babies are OK, Mummy saw fit to drive across me from a T junction on a NSL major roadl

I managed to avoid the middle of the offending car and took the impact on passenger side front of my car.

It's trashed, which is a shame, but the other driver is trying to lay blame at me! Yet I took major damage to car and self in order to avoid hitting the B pillar of the car the drove in front of me.

Great, isn't it. You risk greater personal injury, and incur it and then some tries to blame you fo the lot!

HDi hope you get that b**ch sorted out, people have to take responsibility for their own actions. Some tit in a car park reversed into me (while i was parked) and told the insurance company it was my fault, insurance company wasnt stupid and just paid up.