Invent a new TopGear challenge

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you had the power to invent a no holds barred TopGear challenge what would you like to see?

I'd quite like to see them take a £2000 used car, spend £6000 on mods and see what the fastest drag time they could get.

It would also be fun to see the TopGear team try to build a V8 powered chariot with the engine and front wheels attached to the rears by a flexible connection!

What ideas do you have?

I'd love to see them come to the USA and buy cheap US market only sport compacts, like the Dodge Neon SRT4, Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, and Honda Civic SI (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you get an SI model in Europe, but the more insane Type R. Japan doesn't even get a Civic anymore.).
The cars I picked were random examples off the top of my head.

I'd like to see them stop doing the same things over and over again. I have to fast forward through these car vs public transport episodes these days cos they're just so dull.

I would have to put my thinking head on here, over the years the challenges have been numerous and varied; I think to come up with something totally original would be extremely difficult to do. I don't envy the production team who must struggle every season to find something different to do.

I'm boring.

I would do a £3000 and below diesel challenge. Reliability, MPG, speed, value ect ect.

Don't worry, I have not gotten old, or ''cought gay'' I just think it would be a good idea.

I am sick of seeing people paying over the odds for new cars when they should know you can buy a good used second hand car. Too many people are scared of buying second hand incase something goes wrong.

Joe out!

Relax, Im only having a laf. I have plenty of mates who are gay. And I beg to differ. I once watched a whole series of Modern Family when I was ill and started talking like the fat one! So.....It is possible! :blink1: lol

I have said that to plenty of gay people and they all usually laf. As they know its a joke.

No offence meant. Sorry if any caused.

None taken. I just come from a Catholic Italian family so I deal with bigotry a lot and may be somewhat overly sensitive as a result.

And unless you find yourself seeking out glory holes after listening to a Madonna album, it's safe to assume gay is not catchable.

Last edited:
Mhe, If a country can only produce 300bhp out of a 4.6L V8 (Newest Mustang) there is something wrong. Im not just talking about jap cars either. Italy are able to produce over double that with the same engine.

Or 630bhp out of a 8.4L engine. The Viper.

I know I'm a little bias, but I actually know someone with an Evo that has had the 2.3L Stoker kit installed that produces more Horses than that.

Please. The 2005-2010 Mustang's V8 was part of the modular engine family. It only had 3 valves per cylinder and 1 camshaft per bank. I still think 300 HP is a massive improvement from the 210 that same 4.6L V8 produced when introduced around 1993, and definitely a step above the 265 HP 2 valve per cylinder SOHC 4.6L that powered Ford Crown Victoria police cars. Meanwhile, at that same time, GM introduced the 300HP 4.6L Cadillac Northstar V8. In 2006, a 4.4L variant of the Northstar produced around 450 horsepower thanks to a roots type supercharger. Don't knock it for using a blower. Jaguar did the same thing.
The Mustang has never been considered fast unless breathed on by Carroll Shelby, and even then it was only ever good in a straight line. The Mustang, to date has always been slower than it's main rival, the Chevrolet Camaro.

And don't knock the Viper either. It doesn't have overhead camshafts (which are more efficient) like the Mustang or Cadillacs. The Viper's V10 was developed in the 1980's and based on an already outdated V8 design because Chrysler was short on cash. To think it's now screwing out 650 HP is absolutely amazing when the original Viper had 400 from the same basic engine. A lot of American V8 engines tend to use the incredibly outdated pushrod engine design. For example, the Chevrolet Corvette (all except the 1990-1995 ZR1), and the Chevrolet Camaro (all except 2010-present V6 models) use pushrod engines.
The CURRENT Mustang's 5.0L V8 makes a much more healthy 420 HP, and 444 HP in the Boss 302 model. The base Mustang's 3.7L V6 makes 305 HP, or the same as the pre-facelift Hyundai Genesis Coupe did from it's 3.8L V6. The current Camaro's V6 makes 323 HP and has been shown to be able to produce more, but was detuned for fuel economy (That V6 is still no slouch).

Don't focus on the larger American engines, because lately, top of the line tech has been showing up more often than not in SMALL American engines before it reaches the bigger engines.
The rev-happy Quad 4, GM's first ever in-house DOHC 4 cylinder made 190 HP from 2.3L (The 190 HP variant was known as the W41 and an upgrade over the normal High output Quad 4). That doesn't sound like much now, but it was one hell of an achievement to do without Vtec when it was released in 1991. To this day, American 4 bangers have yet to top that output naturally aspirated and of similar size. At the time, it's specific output per liter was only bested by Ferrari, Lamborghini, and BMW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep9HprLXlUM

This link feature one of the mentioned W41 cars. The power ratings advertised were conservative, and the engine actually produced more than stated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zye7eMPtHEs

Americans are reluctant to change their V8 engines to overhead cam units. Not because it won't make more power or be more reliable, because it will (not that pushrod engines are unreliable). The problem is the current pushrod engines (excluding Ford) are part of American tradition. Ford took HELL when they stopped making the small block Ford pushrod V8 in favor of the OHC Modular V8, which is now making more power than was ever possible with pushrods.

The problem with pushrod engines is a few things. One: They can't rev very high. The reason is because the pushrods themselves are more susceptible to bending or breaking at high RPM. Most pushrod engines only rev to 6,000 RPM. Exceptions include the 2007-2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, whose 7.0L V8 revved to 7,000 rpm, and the other exception are the original Corvette and Camaro ZL1 from 1969 for achieving the same 7000 rpm redline.

The other main problem with pushrod engines is that there is a LOT of power lost through the pushrods themselves. The camshaft in the block pushes the lifters, which pushes the pushrods, which pushes the rockers, with push down on the valve springs, which opens and closes the valves.

Do not bitch and moan about pushrod engines because it's what they're capable of. Bitching about Ford screwing just 300HP from the Mustang's V8 from 2005-2010, I can understand because that's an OHC engine. In general though, most of the low power per liter engines are pushrod engines.

Bitching?? Eh, the topic is on Top Gear. Now, that was very interesting what you put up there, and proved my point exactly.

American cars are, sorry if you disagree, dated and wastefull.

You said it your self. And thats why I said no to the idea of more american cars. We pay £1.45 a Litre. There are around 4.5 Litre's into the gallon. So thats £6.53 a Gallon. In Dollers thats $9.81 a gallon.

No one other than the mega rich, or enthusiasts can afford to fuel anything that comes out of America because of that price. You mention a 2.3L Ford that has 190hp. I bet that does less than 20miles to the gallon. Where as we have Renault (and I have used them as I dislike them and not to be bias) was getting that sort of power out of a NA 2L engine 10 years ago that can achieve 35 miles to the gallon. It pains me to say it, but its ture.

Dont get me wrong, I would love a 3rd generation El Comino, as too, would a lot of British Men like some sort of Yank muscle car, weather it be a mustang or a chevi. There is just no room for them cars in todays world in GB.

The 190 HP 2.3L OLDSMOBILE (not a Ford) was actually capable of 40 MPG here on the highway (about 25 -27 in the city). 40 MPG here is equivalent to about 50 MPG Imperial. We Americans measure gallons differently.

MOST American V8's and V10s are severely outdated, I agree, but to say all of them are is wrong. American V6's and 4 cylinders (which are MUCH more popular here than Europeans think.) are actually quite advanced. Many V8's here are also getting more efficient, thanks to technologies such as cylinder deactivation. My father's pick up truck has a 5.3L pushrod V8 (323 HP) with that tech, and the truck (which weighs over 6,000 lbs) achieves 22 MPG on the highway. The Corvette, even in 7.0L V8 form, manages to achieve 30 MPG here on the highway thanks to it's gearing, light weight, and cylinder deactivation.

As for muscle cars over there? Import an El Camino and swap in the V6 from the new Camaro. It's more power and torque than the original V8 and much more efficient anyways.

Do not just skim through my posts to try and find your point, therefore taking my posts out of context. You lot don't get our fuel efficient cars so think before saying all American cars are wasteful.

Also. I never bitch about gas prices because I know it's worse in Europe.

Last edited:
the reason people skim through your posts ttc is that often they are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long

So in a sentance

The main reason for not featuring american cars is it is a British program in Britain about cars we drive in Britain

Last edited:
As for American engines being advanced.................

show me a 15 year old yank engine that can be tuned to produce well over 200bhp per litre and return 18 mpg around town in a 1700kg road car

A list rather than a rendition would be appreciated