Did TopGear kill the Tesla in the UK

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Tesla are not happy that roadster sales are not taking off in the UK and are blaming TopGear for slating them when one broke down on screen!

Should TopGear have covered over the fault and given Tesla a chance to fix things or were they right to go ahead and broadcast the problem car?

Well TopGear was always a show for "petrol heads" so you would think they wouldn't be overly impressed with an electric car. That being said I suppose it depends how often it broke down, they may have had another one there that did the same or they may have asked for a replacement test vehicle and been turned down. In that instance I'd say they're doing the consumers a favour if the issues are there. I'd say the recent death of an occupant of a Tesla would probably do more to harm their sales :)

I say highlight the problem and well done Top Gear. Koenigsegg's monster car (CCX I think) was the first car I believe that the Stig drove of the track due to the absence of a rear wing. Busted front bumper & wing with carbon fibre bits all over the track. Was there any moaning from Koenigsegg ? No was there heck! Took the car back to Sweden, rebuilt it added a rear wing and sent it back to Top Gear to push it to the limits. Tesla, a word from T9 - Shut up, wise up, fix the damn thing.