Insurance at Group 20

xfirebladex

Wrench Pro
When I decide to go fully into the performance tuning side of driving, most cars will be Group 20 insurance and thus cost a packet unless you're over 25 with some decent NCD.

Now what I'm wondering, are all vehicles that fall in the Group 20 insurance group the same cost to insure? Would it matter if it was a Toyota Supra or a Mercades Maybach? All other things being equal (ceteris paribus). Is there a glass ceiling for the cost of car insurance at Group 20, or can it still go higher along with the BHP?

Perhaps I should just move to the USA where things are just a bit easier.

It's like that in a way. What you'll find is that they'll just not insure you or your car at all if the underwriters deem it to be an excessive risk on their respective parts.

I submitted a couple of ficticious quote requests online, just for fun. Porsche 911 and Jaguar XKR. Both came out under £800. At 37 yrs age I suppose they see me as half sensible.

But I wonder if the price would be that if I bought the car and took up the policy?

car insurance is supposed to be changing from the 20 groups to a new 50 group system for info check out

www.abi.org.uk/carinsurance/search.asp

example my boras going from 16 to 32

please note that insurance runs from 1 - 20 but there is also groups within the groups a-e

i prefer the usa way where you insure yourself then pay an excess for the car and any other cars added to it

yeah waynne gave me revo to look at glasgow said they could get to 210 ish but jus bout the car so need to get the money 1st
dont wanna go mental keep it safe so the wife can drive

can you buy insurance that is fully comp and allows you to drive other vehicle fully comp also instead of thrid party?

if so buy a 3 cyl corsa in group one and splash out on a top end scooby.

aswearing said:
can you buy insurance that is fully comp and allows you to drive other vehicle fully comp also instead of thrid party?

if so buy a 3 cyl corsa in group one and splash out on a top end scooby.

nope for most insurance companies require that the other car is insured before allowing 3rd party cover on your insureance
so if you owend both and only insured the corsa and had an accident in the scobby you may still be done for driving without insurance

also another note if you are under 25 most insurance companies dont include driving other cars 3rd party but dont mention it

If you are a Motor Trader with premisis you can get comprehensive cover for any car. It will typically cost as much as 5x a standard premium but can be a saving if you have a mini fleet of cars yourself.

Motor trade insurance also allows you to drive vehicles even if they're not strictly road legal. Of course, you might be asked to explain why you were driving it if stopped by the Police.

hi only just joined!! and saw this post and it moved on to traded insurance well ive got motor trader insurance and its not as good as it might sound cost me £1100 a year with 5 named drivers we can all drive any car but not sport cars or high prof cars eg any thing thats in the top part of the insurance group is a no no anything thats imported you cant !! unless you pay the prem then you start to go way up in price i did ask when i got it and they sayed it would go up to around £2500 the only advantage is you dont need to have any alarm on the cars drive most things up to 7.5 tons and the old bill dont like it coz you dont need to put your car on dater base for up to 2 month so you have fun when they pull you over is the car insured hehe NO there eyes light up but then you drop them back down to earth buy saying but iam ive got trader insurance
icon10.gif
!!! best thing to piss them off coz they then go round you car with a fine toth pick !!! or if you got nothing to hide

-----steve-----

HI steve (saloonrod) and welcome - nice to have you along. Group 20 insurance is a bit of a shocker! Motor Trade insurance is something I dream of but you helped to pop that dream.

Trade insurance with premises is also wrapped into public liability, employers liability and premises and contents liability. Which means it's actaully quite good value.

hi all and thanks for the welcome :bigsmile:
the only reson i got trade insurance was i race bangers and it was a pain to pick cars up with a few days tax n mot and pepole saying oh yeh you can have the car but need it moved now!! pain geting trailer out or taking the risk of driving with no insurance and if we had to pick 2 or more cars up in the same area pain travling with trailer 1 at a time ment we could get my mum/dad or better halfs dad n the beter half to get them as and when pepole called saying need it gone now!! but its great insurance jump in any car and drive it done loads of favors for mate who just got a car and got no insurance means you get the first rag in there new car lol or you can if you have it added let them drive it home but you got to sit with them to cover it !! its called demo drive witch is fun to means anyone car drive your car as long as your sat with them coz the just having a demo:amazed: !!
----steve-----

oh easy austin a40 (1962) last year every time i think about it now bring a smily to my face never done any good but was just so funny :lol:!!!!! but every car is good if it runs and last the metting only every brought a car back twice :embarrest:and it never last the next meeting;) 1 car 1 metting if it can be done lol