Induction Kit/ Air Filter advice?

GoldenGypsy

Car
Toyota Corolla
My mate and i were messsing around with my car. We fitted a speedway bike K&N air-filter direct to the air intake pipe things (metal pipes that the baisc plastic induction pips fit to) and took it for a drive. While no noticable power was gained i did like the noise that it created.

Basicaly i wana know what to buy?
can i just get something like this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...rumb_33967-52752-52758_parentcategoryrn_70558

and fit it direct to the pipes as before - or maybe locate it nearer to a cold air source.
or do i have to go all the way and fork out for an induction kit.

Also - what is the pipe that leads direct from the inudction pipes to the engine block and what would i do with this if i fitted a filter.

sorry, i realy dnt know what im doing under the bonnet. Luckly ma mate does bt im still looking for a second oppinion

thanks

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars. What car are we talking about here?

The general advice that you get what you pay for applies to pretty much every engine part. It sounds like you are after the induction roar which you would get with the filter you suggest. Did you notice any loss of low down power with the bike K&N? This often happens on smaller engines.

yea i have bought 5/6 filters before i knew what i was doing if your looking to get the power then a built in cold air box is best basically the colder the air the more oxygen in it = more power but to just slap a filter you will lose power down the rev range maybe 1-2 bhp up top because there is less restiction if you look at my pics at the moment i just have a k&n filter fitted to my inlet manifold (the air sucker) haha, and the roar from that is mental ill post a vid soon of me messing about. read this for more info http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/induction-kits.php

Yeah you can fit that to your car as it should come with a set of reducing pipes for if your intake pipe isnt the more standard 76mm.
but like waynne and genbox have said its normally a case of you get what you pay for.

the small pipe that leads to the airbox is probebly your oil breather line. this also needs a small filter as well

Yeah you can fit that to your car as it should come with a set of reducing pipes for if your intake pipe isnt the more standard 76mm.
but like waynne and genbox have said its normally a case of you get what you pay for.

the small pipe that leads to the airbox is probebly your oil breather line. this also needs a small filter as well

Or a opening on the reducing pipes that he is gonna buy might have one like the one for my cold air box does

Thanks for the help. Iv got a Ripspeed filter!
----id show you what it looks like in the car but any link in a post appears to have to be approved by a modorator.
Iv conected it to the pipes that led to the oringinal filter. Unfortunatly its not very secure and idealy needs to be extended.

Its fanstended to the rubber pipes and so im reluctant to drive it atm. Idealy need a metal section of the correct diameter.

where can i get some more hoses/pipes thingi, flexi stuff, from?
presumably it cant just be any old pipe, or it wont withstand the heat

It sounds great tho.

Last edited:
deleted your last post mate as the pic didnt work anyway, if you post up another working one i clear it for you.
you should be able to turn up reducers to the correct size and use jubilee clips to fasten it in place.
you can buy aluminum ducting from halfords pretty cheaply

would i be right in sayin that universal filters dont do much performance wise, compared to filters made for your car i.e. KN, Piper cross, Green Cot etc.

saying that the filter on my car is for the mgtf 1.8 :lol:

im not trying to get performance - although a little extra would be nice.

The filter wont fit direct onto the manifold because it actualy wont fit in. There is a load of metal so i wont fit, not because the pipes are different sizes.

im going to place the filter in the same place as the oringal air box. That way i can maybe still use the cold air intake for that. Im stil working on how im going to secure it.

Thanks 4 the advice, il pay halfords a visit at some point 2day.

http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04132gq6.jpg