I Need Some Advice And Help ! !

boyracer

Car
Saxo vtr
Im 17 and ive just started driving,, I am looking for a nice small hatchback.. Something like the saxo VTR 1.6. After i have bort the car i will be wanting to do some engine modifications on it, as i am abit off a spead freak and like to go as fast as i can! I was just wandering what will be the most effective thing for this small sized engine, to get the most power and performance out of it..

I will be glad for and advice,

Cheers

Welcome to the nut house!

You definitely need help, mate. This forum is not frequented by boy racers. There's nothing wrong with speed when appropriate, but 'as fast as you can' hardly implies discretion and consideration.

There are members on here who drive machinery which will attain eye watering speeds. Speeds that a VTR driver couldn't even consider. I'm one of 'em.

Now go away and ask a slighly more sensible question and you'll find a wealth of information and entertainment in here.

Kind regards,

Paul Anderson.

Hdi, you have me sussed, i was going to write the same thing!
How about you learn how to drive first before jumping in a powerful car you are unable to control.
Just a little bit of friendly advice.

Hdi, you have me sussed, i was going to write the same thing!
How about you learn how to drive first before jumping in a powerful car you are unable to control.
Just a little bit of friendly advice.

Mioaw - the stuff's flying tonight :) How things with you H1?

I'm not really suggesting that a VTR is too fast to control (far from it in fact, they're pretty modest in overall terms) I'm just suggesting that it might be better to at least try and give the impression that you might want to remain in control.

Generally fast cars are more responsive in all aspects than lower powered models so starting with a lively car is not a bad idea but please do treat it with respect. Don't go and bend it in the first year otherwise insurance goes through the roof. And certainly don't go and put yourself or anyone else at risk.

I think what Hayley is driving at (no pun intended) is that 'walk before run' is the flavour of advice here. The biggest skill you can acquire is being able to drive a modest car very fast and safely at the same time.

Rgds,

P.

Last edited:
Mioaw - the stuff's flying tonight :) How things with you H1?

I'm not really suggesting that a VTR is too fast to control (far from it in fact, they're pretty modest in overall terms) I'm just suggesting that it might be better to at least try and give the impression that you might want to remain in control.

Generally fast cars are more responsive in all aspects than lower powered models so starting with a lively car is not a bad idea but please do treat it with respect. Don't go and bend it in the first year otherwise insurance goes through the roof. And certainly don't go and put yourself or anyone else at risk.

I think what Hayley is driving at (no pun intended) is that 'walk before run' is the flavour of advice here. The biggest skill you can acquire is benig able to drive a modest car very fast and safely at the same time.

Rgds,

P.

yes yes, I wasn't saying that a vtr will be too powerful, just go careful to begin with, without ragging it here, there and everywhere just leaving us to catch a glimpse of your " kiss my vtrse " sticker on yojur bumper and see you plough into something.
Any other advice you want???

yes yes, I wasn't saying that a vtr will be too powerful, just go careful to begin with, without ragging it here, there and everywhere just leaving us to catch a glimpse of your " kiss my vtrse " sticker on yojur bumper and see you plough into something.
Any other advice you want???

There is loads of yound new drivers round here a few years ago that had their parents buy them VTR's with the free insurance only to crash them a few weeks later. A VTR is not fast by any means but it is very quick and lively and this is what catches inexperienced drivers out. Citreon's fault if you ask me.

Don't you just love 'er?

Do you mother all the young blokes like this? ;)

Haha, you should see the lessons i give some of my mates;

example 1.

Boy number 1 used to own a clio 1.1 upgraded to Mg Zr 1.4.

I say now go careful, its a nice car don't rag it and its faster than your clio. he goes " blah blah blah blah blah" I say ok I'll give you 3 months till you crash it, the other week he spun it of the motorway into a barrier!

I'm well thankyou hdi and yourself?

A VTR is no where near to fast for me, i have been driving for a while now..
And im confident with driving, I know getting it re-mapped isnt the solution as the only cars you will get noticeable power by "chipping" is cars with bigger engines. You say i wouldnt be able to handle speeds that your cars can manage, which is true.. But everyone has to start somewhere, Right?

And im confident with driving, I know getting it re-mapped isnt the solution as the only cars you will get noticeable power by "chipping" is cars with bigger engines. You say i wouldnt be able to handle speeds that your cars can manage, which is true.. But everyone has to start somewhere, Right?

Mate all we are saying is speed is deadly so don't over use it in dangerous areas. I'm sure you are a very safe and confident driver but speed is a killer fact. A remap would work with your car but you would need extensive engine work for it to be noticable in terms of actual gains in BHP. It all depends on your budget and how much you are prepared to spent. The general rule goes. The more BHP the more Pennies you'll spend.

yes start with your vtr, and dont be overly cocky and confident and drive too fast in silly conditions and you'll be fine, and then get something with the power of an evo or skyline.

Mate all we are saying is speed is deadly so don't over use it in dangerous areas. I'm sure you are a very safe and confident driver but speed is a killer fact. A remap would work with your car but you would need extensive engine work for it to be noticable in terms of actual gains in BHP. It all depends on your budget and how much you are prepared to spent. The general rule goes. The more BHP the more Pennies you'll spend.

I have 10 grand to spend... the car and insurance will cost 5 so i have another 5 to spend on modding.. I am a mature driver and know when it is a appropriate time to put my foot down and when it isnt...
I was just wandering what you would do to the car if it was your project..

I have 10 grand to spend... the car and insurance will cost 5 so i have another 5 to spend on modding.. I am a mature driver and know when it is a appropriate time to put my foot down and when it isnt...

Right is the 5 grand before you have declared the mods cause if it is then the insurance will go up rapid once mods are declared... You do have alot of option with this car as so many people have built them parts are every where. First of all you need the breathing sorted so look for a decent air filter. I think the Pipercross Viper works well with these engines next is a branched manifold de-cat pipe and cat back exhaust. You will find loads of these everwhere. After that you could think about a set of cams, polish an ported and gas flowed head etc . Or even supercharge it or turbo it. The world is your oyster when it comes to modding Saxo's.

Good to hear! If i had 10 grand i wouldn't buy a vtr i'd buy a 2.0 litre thing that was already modified, something around 4 or 5, then leave 2 for insurance and leave the rest for a bit of modding and petrol.

But then 10 grand would get me a deposit on a house but thats wayyyyy too sensible for me :lol:

You can have a lot of fun with 10 grand!

17 and just started driving. What do you mean by "I have been driving for a while now"? 6 months? a whole year?

I'll give the lecture a miss but please be aware that any modifications must be declared to your insurance company or in the case of an accident, your policy will become 'null and void'.
Modifications of any sort at your age will load your premium immensely. Ask your insurers prior to fitment or you may find that you simply can not afford the modification in respect of it's loading on your policy.
Modifying a car and not declaring it then having an accident will leave the other party [if there is one] in a situation of having to claim on his/her policy then potentially sueing you personally for recovery of costs.
Imagine this happening to you in reverse !

Ive been driving for nearly a year now,, im nearly 18... Cheers turbo for all the advice, it has really helped :)

IF you want quick and cheap power, then a remapped diesel is the way to go in my opinion. 10k will buy you more shove than you'll ever get in a tweaked 1.6 Saxo.

I do, however, suggest that you do not do this yet. Please take a lot more time to hone your vehicle control, observation, anticipation and perception skills before attemting to drive faster than your current skill and experience levels will allow. Cars with massive in gear acceleration cause problems not just for the driver. It's a problem for other drivers who simply don't expect that you'll be able to go from 30-60 in four or five seconds and they pull out straight in front of you. Over time you will develop a sixth sense for what is going to happen before there's any evidence to suggest it will. THen you'll develop a seventh and eighth one and so on. That is, of course, if you take it a little bit easy for now.

Having a massive surfeit of torque and power is often argued to be able to get one 'out of trouble'.

Sadly, what's so often more the case is that it makes the damages and injury ten times worse than it might have been otherwise.

Please don't become yet another statistic. I'm not saying that all older drivers are good or better than young ones. Some are very bad. Worse still, some never get to be old.

Posted by HDi on behalf of Old-git and HDi himself

wish i had ten grand to spend, on anything!!!:p

All i can suggest is investiate thoroughly before you flash the cash. i was thinking of fitting a new manifold for 300 or so quid only to learn that it would essentially make no difference.

Also, ive just put some new alloys on my clio, and now it goes SLOWER. a word i do not like!

IF you want quick and cheap power, then a remapped diesel is the way to go in my opinion. 10k will buy you more shove than you'll ever get in a tweaked 1.6 Saxo.

I do, however, suggest that you do not do this yet. Please take a lot more time to hone your vehicle control, observation, anticipation and perception skills before attemting to drive faster than your current skill and experience levels will allow. Cars with massive in gear acceleration cause problems not just for the driver. It's a problem for other drivers who simply don't expect that you'll be able to go from 30-60 in four or five seconds and they pull out straight in front of you. Over time you will develop a sixth sense for what is going to happen before there's any evidence to suggest it will. THen you'll develop a seventh and eighth one and so on. That is, of course, if you take it a little bit easy for now.

Having a massive surfeit of torque and power is often argued to be able to get one 'out of trouble'.

Sadly, what's so often more the case is that it makes the damages and injury ten times worse than it might have been otherwise.

Please don't become yet another statistic. I'm not saying that all older drivers are good or better than young ones. Some are very bad. Worse still, some never get to be old.

Posted by HDi on behalf of Old-git and HDi himself

I agree with everything except buying a diesel car...:lol::lol:

Hey and welcome to the site mate,
as has been said going fast is all well and good but leave it for the track, theres already too many young idiots on the roads already who, like yourself are over confident.
Im 17 and ive just started driving,
you then go on to say
i have been driving for a while now
sorry to say it but a year isnt enough,yes your a confident driver but youve not had enough experience.
ive been driving for over 5 and still wouldnt say im a great driver - and im sure HDi and Old-git will also say the same and theyve been driving for over 20 years +

TN covered everything apart from brakes there, look at uprating the pads to a fast road compound DONT go for racing as these are designed for using on a track where you are on the brakes every few seconds from high speed

Hi there, nice to have you along. We've all been there at 17/18 feeling confident sadly some learn from their mistakes and for others its too late.

I think we are judging you on your username so please take our advice as friendly and well intentioned. We do not lecture or moan at young drivers on here but we absolutely reject any form of road racing or recklessness. We've all lost friends/family in traffic accidents and usually where someone was over confident.

My first mod when I was 17 should have been good tyres and uprated brake disks. It would probably have saved me from myself.

welcome to tc mate, i can understand what some members are saying, but we all have to start somewhere, just dont be a ricer, there are plenty of track days available to do your acting around, on thr rd isnt 1 of these tracks

im sorry to say, but your young, and that makes you a liability
my brother is 19, he crashed a 1.4 civic couple of months ago, all grand, noone injured and he slid off into a ditch so no other cars involved (thank god)
next week hes getting an sir civic, and im dredding it (cant stop him from getting 1)

so mate, get expieriance behind you before you start driving aggresively, i do want to say happy new year to you next year,
by all means mod you car, just treat it with respect to yourself and others

"so mate, get expieriance behind you before you start driving aggresively"

Don't ever drive agressively. Driving quickly is not driving agressively. You really do have to control that descending red mist. It's easy to see that frustration and anger can incite one to drive agressively.

If you really are going to make use of high speeds and swift acceleration to pass other vehicles you must do this in a very controlled and thoughful way.

This is why I cite attitude as the most significant issue in terms of driving conduct and behaviour.

Perhaps you are slightly more reactive to spurious stimuli than your peers. That is a good thing. Anticipation and planning are woth far more, both in terms of safety and progress. so don't get over enamoured with your reaction times alone.

many of us here drive very quickly indeed. This is not the slow club GB limited. I'd like to think that when I drive quickly it is with consderation for other road users.

Urban ans suburban roads are not the place to exploit you car's performance.

Best to get it on a track. You might even find that it's pretty sluggish in that situation.

"so mate, get expieriance behind you before you start driving aggresively"

Don't ever drive agressively. Driving quickly is not driving agressively. You really do have to control that descending red mist. It's easy to see that frustration and anger can incite one to drive agressively.

If you really are going to make use of high speeds and swift acceleration to pass other vehicles you must do this in a very controlled and thoughful way.

This is why I cite attitude as the most significant issue in terms of driving conduct and behaviour.

Perhaps you are slightly more reactive to spurious stimuli than your peers. That is a good thing. Anticipation and planning are woth far more, both in terms of safety and progress. so don't get over enamoured with your reaction times alone.

many of us here drive very quickly indeed. This is not the slow club GB limited. I'd like to think that when I drive quickly it is with consderation for other road users.

Urban ans suburban roads are not the place to exploit you car's performance.

Best to get it on a track. You might even find that it's pretty sluggish in that situation.
you dont have to drive fast to drive aggresivly, speeding
overtaking cars, throttle fully down between lights, hard on the brakes etc etc, thats what i call agressive driving, basically what ricers do

i do drive agressivly, but i know the limits, im driving since im 14, legaly since 22, im well expierianced
most people do drive agressivly at some stage, what i was saying to racer is, take it handy and get expieriance first before doing this

when you drive at 120 mph hdi, your driving agressivly too mate, and reaching that speed how ever you do it dosent count as not agressive

I suppose you could drive a car "in anger" without being angry. Are we going into semantics again here?:D

lmao just passed test and likes driving as fast as you can........... hmmmmmmmmmm why can i hear the faint sound of sirens (only joking)

welcome by the way,

just an idea but why not go for something that is naturally stunning in looks so doesnt need much exterior modding then spend a bit under bonnet just to increase from standard, then you have a car that will get attention and if needs must has the power to back itself up.

personally i hate seeing people who have just recently passed test buy a car then throw stupid amounts of money at it only to either get banned for driving like an idiot (not meaning you by the way) or get blown away at the lights by something worth half the price.

see if it was me with 10 grand i would prob spend it on something that i didnt have to do much to from standard (not something that has alredy been modified to someone elses taste) then pay the insurance, fill the tank and save the rest for when the tax is due next lol.

i love the fact that i dont need to drive the 200sx fast to get attention, she is almost standard apart from a couple of daft little things but she shifts when she needs to and gets attention when stood still which i think is better than having something i have to race to get attention.

are there any other cars you have looked at ?

what about something like toyota starlet, or pulsar, would get really nice example for the money you have.

Last edited: