I guarantee you don't have a valid driving license

0620131502_zps333fbf36.jpg

American spelling is License

Who said we were only talking about production cars? This is a forum with a great many modified cars :)

Go to a drag meet and you will see more cars sporting carbs than you will FI.

I think we are highjacking and wondering off the point of this thread so, dragging it back, 5000bhp V8 top fuel drag cars don't have filters.

If you want noise, remove the filter and leave the box, IMO.

If you want more power, forget about modifying/changing the filter, save up your pennies and improve the engine. THEN it is probably worth looking at upgrading the induction tract.

Either way the English spelling is the correct one. It's a bit like "colour" as opposed to "color". Why do I know this? Because we spawned the language and gave it to everyone else ;) job done

Last edited:
New cars maybe, but like OG says loads of cars do have them, like my neighbour's Caterham which has a Ford 1.6 with Weber carbs on it. Trumpets too thinking about it, and he doesn't get dust issues.

maybe so but cars don't come with carburetors anymore. Did you miss your medication Grandpa?

Ah, but they do. As Yugguy says, Caterham's come new fitted with carbs as an option :)

Besides, carbs or FI, argument still valid.

With regard to my medication, I can't remember.

Ah, but they do. As Yugguy says, Caterham's come new fitted with carbs as an option :)

Besides, carbs or FI, argument still valid.

With regard to my medication, I can't remember.

Caterhams can't be sold as an assembled car here, only as a kit, due to safety regulations. So in the USA, it's true. Even the Ariel Atom is track only here and can't be driven on the road.

Sounds like Australia, every state has it's own laws, Victoria '' nanny state '' is the worst and Queensland is the best.

With regard to modifying your car, I prefer the US rules to the UK ones. However, the US rules vary from State to State so it depends on where you live.w

California by FAR has the worst rules regarding vehicle modification. Other states are MUCH more lax. It's actually a law in California that regarding engine swaps, the engine MUST be from a newer car and the car MUST pass emissions in the same classification as it would've before the swap. California cars must also always go for emissions testing, regardless of the car's age (unless it's pre-1966).

Connecticut is below California. Cars in Connecticut run California emissions (Connecticut has the second-strictest emissions in the country), but are much more lax about modifications. As long as it isn't too loud, the engine doesn't stick more than 6 inches from the hood and so long as it passes emissions, they generally don't care. In Connecticut, again, engine swaps must pass emissions for that vehicle's year and model, but the law is much more lax, allowing for an older engine to be used so long as it still uses the OBD diagnostics for that year (1988-1995 = OBD1. 1996-present = OBD2). Also in Connecticut, once cars reach 25 years old, they no longer have to go for emissions, so all emissions and smog-specific parts can be legally removed (example: Catalytic Converter).

The states with the most relaxed laws towards vehicle modification is generally either the southern or the mid-western states.

Last edited:
  • If you decided to do a road trip across the USA or Australia, would there be legal problems with a modified car from a 'lax' State?

In the USA, It only matters that the car is completely legal in it's registered home state. So if I took my Saturn cross country, I could probably get pulled over, but I would be immune from being ticketed for modifications as I have all the paperwork stating all my modifications are legal in Connecticut.

It's always fascinating reading about the legality of various things in the USA, as in many cases the different states are practically seperate countries. I was reading Arnie's biography and he talks about California being the 7th biggest world economy.

Same in Ozzy O.G, as long as what I have is leagle in my state of residence it don't matter where I go and visit, just can't visit on a permanent basis or more than a certain time without going back, how they check or enforce this is beyond me.