Dieing driving techniques

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
With the ever increasing numbers of vehicles being sold with automatic transmissions. CVT (yuk) flappy paddles , reverse parking assist .lane departure warning ABS, traction control,stability control,radar cruise control and braking ,hill start assist etc making vehicles easier to operate thereby leading to IMO less skilled / involved motorists on the roads.

I am beginning to feel that all of the safety features built into modern cars are leading to the drivers being less involved and more insulated from their surroundings and not getting the mechanical feel that I experienced and gained growing up driving cars without all the modern electronic aids.

While my DD is an auto with most of the bells and whistles and is great in heavy congested stop start traffic BUT I stil love to get behind the wheel of my manual car and be able to do handbrake hill starts with no rolling back,nice smooth gear changes up & rev matching on the way down, and double declutching while heel and toeing to rev match as well.

What does the younger set out there think about this and do they agree or am I just a dinosaur living in the past?

Last edited:
I do agree with this, ABS is an essential in my book, even a pro driver will struggle to match an emergency stop with an ABS system.

Traction control is a pain, you can't fully turn it off in many new cars. Sometimes you just want to slide the back out a little, or end up understeering like crazy.

I'm not one for pointless gadgets in cars. Even electric windows wind me up!

Traction control is all good but you need to be able to totally turn it off IMO, especially if you have a fun car and are planning a track day.

I turn the TC/SC off @ the track as want to be able to experience the lift off oversteer or rear end looseness as the Mericans call it rear end moving that helps the FWD car rotate / turn in better.

One thing that is good with the electric windows in my 4x4 DD tow car is the windows automatically lowering a bit when being opened so one doesn't have to slam the door when all windows are closed and close again when the door is shut. |B